Chapter 8 - Location

A light tone of pleasant beeps ring out from the strange device in X's hands, the screen lighting up the name of the first contestant to be found. In the bright, green fluorescent text is Taco, as per Four's suggestion moments ago. "Alright!" X chirps, pointing the front of the Contestant Locator-inator towards the ground beneath their feet, pulling the trigger with a soft click. As soon as the beam from the device hits the ground, a hole opens up, swallowing the three of you into an empty void. It's completely dark and you flail your limbs around as you fall, watching above as the hole you fell through disappears in the distance. You finally make contact with something. It's soft and round, cushioning your impact. As you desperately try to right yourself, grabbing at the seemingly invisible ground, you continue to skip backwards, rolling until you reach flat ground and stagger to a stand. You can't see anything. Not even your own hands in this pitch darkness, starting to tentatively take a few steps forward.

"Four? X? Are you here? Hello?" There's no reply, your voice echoing throughout the blackness. Securely holding your arms towards where your chest would be, you stagger around, the soft ground under you making it hard to walk straight. After a few moments of walking, you bump into something, something swiftly darting out to shove you. You fall backwards, a soft 'oof' being uttered as you did.

"Hrm? Y/N?"

"Four?"

"Oh, thank gumdrop, it's you~" He reached out in front of him to grab you, pulling you back into his body to squeeze tightly. "I was beginning to get worried there." You smile and pat his back. "I was, too. What just happened..? Where are we?"

You feel Four shrug. You pat your palms down his arms, grabbing one of his hands. "We should try and find X. Can you see anything?" You ask. You can hear Four's breath hitch, his grip on your hand gets a little tighter. You pause.

"Four?" You ask, making sure he's alright. He's acting a little strange, even for Four. "N...no, I don't. It's too dark to see anything- let's go." He says, finally answering your earlier question.

"X! Speak to me, little buddy!" He calls and you follow suit. "X?! Are you out there?!"

You hear a pair of voices in the distance, growing louder as you drew closer. Soon enough, they become discernible. It's X and Taco, who are attempting to flag you and Four down as well. Suddenly, Four zips off, dragging you behind very quickly until you both smash right into X, tumbling around in the darkness.

"Oh shell, what just happened?!" Taco shouted, hearing the yellow algebralien yelp and tumble to the ground. Four had landed on top of you, patting around in search for X. He still hasn't let go of your hand, you dizzily trying to regain your composure as he drags you around.

"X...where are you?"

"Right here! Ye-ouch!"

"Oh. Sorry." Four muttered, pulling his hand away. For a split second, he lets go of you, reaching out and gripping the sides of X's nubs, violently twisting them around with a snap. X yelps again, Four starting to shake him around roughly. Slowly, an eerie green glow starting to form in X's body. Soon enough, the variable was illuminating the void with a bright glow. It became quickly apparent that the floor beneath you was smooth and fabric-like. Nothing like you've ever seen before, you think as you slightly roll your heels into it. As Four sets X down, he reaches out to grab your hand again.

"Oh...I didn't know I could glow..." X remarked, looking down at their hands. They flex their fingers. This was a weird ability. "Anyway, I found Taco, so we better get out of here!" They said, Taco reaching out to stop them. "Wait, we can't leave without Spongy! He's around here somewhere...we were together for a bit and ended up getting separated."