Chapter Eighty Three

Start from the beginning

He doesn't even acknowledge Kayden.

His eyes are only on me.

"Hey."

I swear my cat purrs.

That thought and the way he affects me have me blushing immensely.

"Hi." I can't keep my eyes off him.

He looks so good in that black varsity jacket. He's gotten more buff over the months we've been apart and my fingers itch to feel his biceps. I bet they're big.

We're so lost in each other that I only realize that someone else is next to me when he clears his throat. My eyes widen and I awkwardly smile at Kayden.

"Xavier, this is Kayden, he's the photographer at our studio. Kayden, this is Xavier...my friend." The word rolls off my tongue like a sweet lie and I see the moment Xavier's eyes darken at my label for what he is to me.

But alas he shrugs it off and nods his head at Kayden, barely paying him attention. Kayden doesn't think much of Xavier's coldness and turns to me.

"Think about that date." He boyishly grins and shocks me when he leans in to kiss my cheek. My eyes immediately find Xavier's but he looks amused rather than mad. As if another guy kissing me isn't going to change my heart.

And he has the right to be arrogant about that.

Nothing will change the way I feel about Xavier.

When Kayden is far enough, Xavier steps a breath closer to me, bringing forth his riveting scent.

I could just lick him...

"Date?" Xavier raises his brow lightly.

I tilt my chin up to stare up at him. Under the moonlight and the streetlights, he looks breathtaking.

"Yeah, he asked me out."

He nods, an amused tug forming on the corners of his mouth.

"And, are you going to go?"

"No."

My answer doesn't surprise him one bit.

Egoistic bastard.

"Why not?"

"It's not fair to him when I'm already in love with another man." I say it to his face, feeding his ego. There's no point in lying to myself and to him. And there's nothing wrong in me confessing my honest feelings for him.

We might be friends in this moment in time but we're in love. Our past doesn't erase our connection and no amount of hurt can make me forget what he means to me.

My world. My purpose in life.

Xavier can't hide his pleased smile which only makes me blush harder.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, hugging my sketchbooks against my chest.

Xavier slides his hands into the pockets of his varsity jacket, seeming even taller and broader than before.

"I was just passing by." He shrugs.

I can't stop the smile from appearing on my face.

"Mmhmm."

He can't even be subtle about his intentions.

Xavier grins.

"And thought I'd see if you wanted a ride or whatever."

I smile brighter.

"A ride."

He nods.

"Yeah, you know if you want."