10 - runner

A while later, you were standing in the council hut after Thomas and some of the other gladers went back into the maze to search for the griever Thomas killed.

"Yeah, we found this. It was inside a griever." Thomas explained to Newt, who held a device in his hands. It had the letters WCKD written on it with the number seven above.

"These are the same letters we get on our supplies." Newt frowned. You took the device from his hands and inspected it. The weird, black liquid grossed you out, but you didn't care at the moment.

"Yeah. Whoever put us here obviously made the grievers. And this is the first real clue, the first anything you've found in over three years. Right, Minho?" Thomas asked the brunette.

"Right." he nodded. "Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us?" Thomas said, sharing a glance with Newt before the blonde turned to a frowning Gally.

"You see what he's trying to do, right? First, he breaks our rules and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?" Gally asked.

"Because, like you said, things are changing. And there's no denying that." you said, looking directly into his eyes. "If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me." Gally said, frowning.

"Maybe, but he isn't here. Alby isn't the leader right now, Newt is." you spoke, angrily. "This shank needs to be punished." Gally said, angry as well.

Newt nodded reluctantly before taking the device from your hands and handing it to Minho. "You're right. Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit and no food." Newt said, glancing at you.

"Oh, come on, Newt. One night in the pit? You think that's gonna stop him from going into the maze?" Gally exclaimed. "No. And we can't just have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it. So let's just make this official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a runner." Newt decided.

"Wow." Gally scoffed before turning to leave. "Gally." Fry spoke up, trying to calm the builder down. "No, Fry." Gally answered, angrily, swatting away Fry's hand.

"Thanks, Newt."