12 - always their favorite

The next morning, Thomas and Minho went into the maze with the device they found inside the griever. Two hours later, loud noises could be heard from inside the maze.

Thomas and Minho came jogging out of the maze, some gladers waiting for them at the entrance. "Now, what the hell is going on out there?" Newt wanted to know.

"What the hell you done now, Thomas?" Gally asked. "We found something, a new passage. We think it could be a way out." your brother explained.

"Really?" you asked, walking in between Newt and Minho. "It's true. We opened a door, something I'd never seen before. I think it must be where the grievers go during the day." Minho explained.

"Wait. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait, you're saying you found the grievers' home? And you want us to go in?" Chuck asked, walking in between Minho and Thomas. "Their way in could be our way out, Chuck." Thomas spoke.

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen grievers on the other side. The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual." Gally spoke up, making Thomas turn around in anger.

"Yeah, well, at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done, huh? Aside from hide behind these walls all the time." he said, walking up to Gally.

"Let me tell you something, greenie. You've been here three days, all right? I've been here three years-" the builder spoke before getting interrupted by Thomas.

"Yeah, you've been here three years and you're still here, Gally. So what does this tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently."

That's when Teresa walked up to you and tried getting everyone's attention. "Maybe you should be in charge." Gally argued. Finally, Teresa got their attention.

"Hey! It's Alby. He's awake."

You, Newt, Minho, Thomas, Gally, Fry and Teresa walked into Alby's room, who was sitting on his bed. "Has he said anything?" Minho asked. "No." Teresa said, letting the guys into the room.

"Alby. Alby, you all right?" Newt asked, sitting down next to his friend. The dark skinned boy had tears brimming in his eyes, trying to hold them back.

You knelt down in front of him, placing your hands on his knees to grab his attention. Once he looked into your worried eyes, the tears slowly started falling down his cheeks.

"Hey, Alby. Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze. You hear me? We could be getting out of here." Thomas spoke, kneeling down next to you.

"We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us." Alby whispered, still looking at you. "What are you talking about?" you asked, rubbing his knee with your thumb to reassure him you were there.

"I remember." he spoke, his lip quivering. "What do you remember?" Thomas asked, looking between you and Alby. He could tell the two of you cared for each other deeply, you and Alby were like siblings.

"You. You were always their favorite, Thomas. Always." Alby said, turning to look at your brother. Suddenly, shouts could be heard from outside. "Why did you do this? Why did you come here?"

You ran outside to see what the shouting was about. "Hey, Winston, what's going on?" you asked the slicer who walked by, holding a torch in his hand.

"The doors, they aren't closing."