26| "THAT'S ME, MS. 20 SOMETHING" - SZA

"Okay, I'll see you soon."

Lauren smiled as she hung up the phone and made her way to the bathroom. Now that she was off her line, she was back to being the resident DJ. Lauren hit play and trap music started to blare from the living room speakers. It was after 9:30 PM and all three of them were nearly ready to go to her birthday party. Well, Lauren was ready. Toni was applying finishing touches in the bathroom while Amani was finishing her hair perched at the kitchen island with a mirror propped up against a bottle of tequila.

"Did you add him to the list?" Lauren asked Toni, watching as she brushed her teeth from the bathroom door frame.

"Yes." Toni said after she spat into the sink. She shot Lauren a foamy smile, "Are you excited?"

"Yes! I'm ready to turn up and let it all go tonight." Lauren smiled back at her.

"We know, we know. You're dumb excited to see your man." Amani called down the hallway, announcing herself before she joined them in the bathroom immediately opening drawers and cabinets, in search of something.

"That too." Lauren replied as she watched Amani victoriously fish out a bobby pin from a cosmetic travel bag. She finished pinning loose hairs into her sleek high ponytail and secured it with some hair spray.

"Okay no more mushy stuff." Amani waved the air clear as Toni finished rinsing. "Let's get these shots going."

As they cleared out the bathroom and went to the kitchen, Lauren inspected her reflection in the mirror. She wore neutral glam makeup and her loosely coiled hair was out in a large afro thanks to some booty-length clip-ins. Toni had given her a few fine cornrows on either side of her middle part adorned with golden hair accessories and beads at the ends as a special touch.

Damn, I feel special.

Lauren hadn't taken a drink yet, but she was flush, bubbling with excitement and ready to celebrate herself. She had found who she was looking for and was falling in love with him. She also kinda found herself along the way. She was on a high and she somehow trusted that even if when she came down from it, only good things could follow. But tonight, Lauren wouldn't worry about anything negative - not her faults, not her stumbles or her mistakes. She wouldn't even worry about what the new normal on Monday would bring, her shitty job or even paying Toni back for the expensive ass bottle of Patron she had put on her credit card. Tonight, nothing could kill her vibe.

Lauren left the bathroom and entered the kitchen to see a long line of nine plastic shot glasses brimming with clear liquor.

"Okay, Nami, chill! I guess I'll take three?" Lauren asked her, in confusion.

"The fuck, L? These are all for you!" Amani giggled as she poured out a tenth.

Lauren quickly downed three while they beamed across the island in approval. Though Patron is smooth, it's not 'ten shots before you've even left the crib' smooth. Lauren shook her head to help ease the third down.

"Nope, that's enough. I want to remember tonight." She said, putting her fourth to the side.

Amani and Toni split up the remaining six and Lauren sat this round out. Instead, she rummaged in the fridge for a chaser and found some mango juice. She didn't grab a glass, Lauren just drank it straight from the carton for instant relief.

Toni held her last shot up in a toast. "To L!" She nearly screamed and Lauren was immediately reminded at how damn quickly alcohol hit Toni's bloodstream.

"To L!" Amani's voice rang til it was almost hoarse.

"To me!" Lauren said brightly. She felt like she was glowing, but it could've just been the warm tequila spreading under her skin.