13| "IT COULD ALL BE SO SIMPLE BUT YOU RATHER MAKE IT HARD" - LAURYN HILL

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't lie.

Although Lauren was caught off guard by Trent's trickery, she tried to hold her composure as she stood up - though she was fuming; jaw and fists clenched. She swore actual steam was coming out of her pores and radiating off of her body.

Lauren stood next to Trent at the end of the table and let him start the presentation. As he spoke, the screen behind them flashed with various charts she'd never seen before. She peered at his sheet of notes as he quickly flipped through the first few slides with a clicker in his hand and her body shifted into a power mode. She wanted to unlock every resource in her body to knock that dumb grin off Trent's face.

Lauren wasn't an idiot. She hated her job, but she was decent at it. She recognized some of the data that Trent spoke about and made sure to find room to interject. She was able to contribute at times and also bullshit her way through several impasses. When a VP asked a question Lauren didn't have the answer to, she kindly referred them to Trent's initial announcement of her absence on Friday, but promised to email the figures as soon as the meeting wrapped up.

If her hair had been down, she would have flipped it over her shoulder. Trent was right about one thing, she really was good at jumping from one thing to the next.    

When the presentation had finished the room gave their standard weak applause and cleared out. Trent started to gather his papers when Lauren tightly gripped his wrist.

"Not so fast." She muttered under her breath.

Trent glowered at her, knowing he shouldn't make a scene as people were filing out of the room so he stood completely still until the last person left. Once they had gone through the door, he yanked his hand away. "Don't fucking touch me."

"Really Trent? You really just tried to make me look like an idiot. This is work. Not playtime! Don't fuck with me!"

"Shut up, Lauren! I'll do what I want. You sure as hell do."

"Is this how it's going to be? You can't harass, mock and embarrass me because you're mad. Leave me out of your sick games."

"Huh? You're one to talk about games." Trent said as he walked away.

Lauren sighed and looked down. "Trent, I'm sorry that it went down the way it did." She looked up just in time to see the boardroom door shut behind him. He was gone.

Lauren hadn't expected Trent to be over it. He had made it clear that he wasn't going to be. He had also made it crystal clear that he was also not to be trusted. Hurt or not, there was a catalogue full of certain things she could never do to someone she once cared for and trying to humiliate them at work was in there. Lauren now knew where she stood with Trent and it was at an arm's length. She was okay with that. When God closes a door, you don't go looking for a window.

Lauren gathered up her things and walked back to her desk. She set her things down and checked her phone. Both Gabe and Toni had texted her. She glanced at Toni's messages which were pictures of two outfits, followed by, "Which one?"

This was not an uncommon occurrence in their best-friendship. What was odd were the fashions themselves. They looked fancier, but more boring and covered than Toni's usual slay. Probably for a presentation at school, but to be honest, Lauren didn't really have a preferred business casual to see Toni in. Lauren really needed a pick-me-up after dealing with Trent and Toni's dull outfit selection was sending her into a slight depression. Lauren ignored her bestie's survey to open Gabe's texts instead and immediately felt better.

Gabe:
Morning, L. Just checkin in to see how u doin. How's work? 👀

Lauren:
Work's ok. A certain mans is not...