17| "YOU NEEDED ME" - RIHANNA

Start from the beginning

Lauren requested a table for two from the hostess, texting Gabe only once she was seated inside and scanning the menu. Her stomach growled as warm scents wafted from the kitchen. She had decided on chicken and waffles and ordered a latté to start when Gabe sat down in front of her. He wore a cream coloured hoodie that slightly clung to the muscles of his arms, with black jeans and white sneakers.

"It's weird how we keep running into each other. Must be meant to be." He smirked.

Lauren smiled back. "Something like that."

They placed their orders with the waiter shortly after Gabe sat down. As he ordered a croque-monsieur with fresh orange juice, Lauren stared into space while her mind wandered back to Toni.

"What's going on L? You seem out of it. What happened at brunch?" Gabe asked after the waiter took their menus.

She zoned back in.

I love how attentive this man is.

She sipped her warm latté and spilled the story of how her friendship with Toni was unravelling.

Gabe sighed heavily when she was done. "That's fucked up of her. I don't want to overstep but are you sure she's your friend?" He shook his head disapprovingly.

"I mean she was. I really can't say for now."

"And she's the one you live with right?"

"Yup."

"Damn." He paused. "The best advice I could give would be to decide if she's a friend worth keeping. A friend worth going through this with. A friend worth forgiving. Then act accordingly. I know she's your girl so I think you should forgive her, she's probably just acting tight because she's stressed. Maybe her 'rents meeting her man didn't go so well, maybe it did. You and I both don't know."

"You have a point, but she didn't give me the chance."

"That's fair. I personally think you handled it very well. But I may be biased." Gabe said eyeing Lauren as he took a sip of his juice.

"Yeah, how could you possibly give me sound advice? How can I trust what you have to say?" She asked sarcastically. "You haven't even told me how you feel about me. You know, to my face" Lauren shrugged nonchalantly. She knew this wasn't fair, he could be really shy, but that didn't take away from the fact that she still wanted to hear it again. Now.

Gabe sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. "Give her an inch and she'll take a mile." He said, shaking his head as he looked up to the ceiling. "You complain when I'm too corny and now you're saying I'm not corny enough. Jeez, Lauren." He chuckled.

Then he took Lauren's hands in his and looked into her eyes, grinning that perfect smile. "I meant what I said - um, what I texted you. Being with you that night was a trip. I like you, a lot, L." As he spoke, she felt his rugged hands get clammy, but Lauren didn't mind. She readjusted her hands, intertwining her fingers between his, her heart pounding as she looked back.

"I have a confession to make." He said quieter. "You're the only woman I have been intimate with since my ex. Maybe that's why I'm a little crazy about you."

"You're lying."

"Deadass. I don't really let anyone in. I mean I've talked to girls here and there and I know niggas probably tell you all types of shit all the time, but this isn't a line or a play. I gotta be honest. You gotta know you're the only one I'm talking to right now. You gotta know I'm serious about you, Lauren."

"Gabe, I'm not trying to rush into anything."

"Me neither."

"We just met and –"