Volume 2 Chapter 10 - There and back again

3rd Person Pov

To her, that world seemed a pure white, a blank space utterly suffused by light.
The warm air, the refreshing breeze, the rustling of leaves, the grass against
her bare skin. All of it.

All of it was revitalising, full of light, leaving no place for chaos. She walked
through it all regally, feeling a gentle ease in her heart. Yes-she was at ease. That surprised her.

These past several days, she had felt an unwonted warmth in her heart. She
could not fathom what it was, but she had an idea of where it had come from.
It had begun when she had met the Mysterious Knight-or so she thought.
He was an average Knight of no special genius, whose body spoke of a
singular devotion to training. All the more reason she treasured it more than that of any hero.

She even saw the value of each of the scars in his skin and hers as she pressed against him.

Suddenly, she stopped.
Soft footsteps were making their way through the grass of the Temple garden.
Something black amid the white. A hazy, dark silhouette.

Her lips parted slightly, and a thin smile crept onto her face. How could she forget that form?

Sword Maiden : How good to see you well."

The silhouette-he-nodded briefly.
He was wearing Black Overall outfit and a Black Coat; at his hip was a sword that
seemed fully covered in black. Many a time she had dreamed of him, a swimming darkness concealing his form.

Rimuru : I've come with a question,"

he said and strode boldly up to her side.
She was briefly lost as to how to act. Should she remain aloof, or would an
honest smile be better? To look too delighted would be childish and shameful.

Sword Maiden : Yes, what is it? If it is within my power to answer..."

In the end, she chose her usual calm smile. To her, that seemed most like her.
She hoped he would think so, too.

She wondered what expression he wore. The misty form she saw revealed
nothing. Though even if she had been able to see, his expression still would have hidden him from her.

And that was just a bit of a shame.
In a soft voice, he said:

Rimuru: You knew everything, didn't you?"

She felt her heart skip a beat, her cheeks grow hot. She drew her sword-and-
scales staff near to herself, then gave an invigorating stretch of her back.
How she hoped her voice would not tremble.

Sword Maiden : ...Yes. I did."

She could hear him breathe softly,
"I see." It was the same dispassionate tone he had used when they had first met and when they had spoke in bed.

She found that strangely, impossibly saddening. Only now did she realize she had expected something to change. She had never had such an unsettling feeling before.

Sword Maiden: But...how did you figure it out?"

Rimuru: I didn't."

She gave him a curious cock of her head.

Rimuru: I intended to ask that of everyone who was in a position to know."