Chapter 3 - Guild Girl Observation

3rd Person Pov.

Farmer : Help us! You gotta help us! Them Goblins done come down to our village!"

Shouted by the Farmer who went Infront the Guild Desk

Guild Girl : Filing a quest? Please fill out this form, sir."

The farmer clutched the paper so tightly it crumpled, and Guild Girl pulled out a fresh sheet. This was nothing unusual at the Adventurers Guild. She dealt with half a dozen people like this before breakfast.

Adventurers were busy during the day, so they mostly visited the Guild Hall in the morning or evening. Those filing quests, however, were not so predictable.

The battles among the gods had gone on so long that monsters were a
familiar part of the world now.

When a village was attacked, a nest of terrible creatures would inevitably be found in some nearby ruins or the like.

The man before her that afternoon was just one more in a parade of people who showed up at their wits' end.

Farmer: If this goes on, gods know what's gonna happen to the poor cows! And our damn fields? The Goblins light 'em up..."

The farmer's hand quaked as he wrote. Each time he made a mistake, Guild Girl was ready with a new quest sheet.

Yes, each time-each time monsters appeared, each time they attacked a
village, the adventurers would come. Be it dragons, demons, giant eyes with
their unholy names, or sometimes even a crew of heartless outlaws.
All who stood among the age-old enemies of those who have words: the
Unpraying.

Granted, this was a dubious term, since it included priests serving the Dark Gods. And most numerous among the Unpraying were-you guessed it-goblins.

Farmer : We ain't even got no young ladies for 'em to carry off!"

Guild Girl narrowed her eyes, trying to make sense of letters that crawled like worms across the page. They were hardly legible. This was the most talented scribe the village could muster?

Somehow it was always these tiny frontier farm towns the goblins went after.

Were the goblins really targeting the villages on purpose? Was it just because there were so many villages-or so many goblins? As far as Guild Girl was concerned, such questions were above her pay grade.

Guild Girl : It looks like the paperwork is in order. Do you have the reward with you?"

Farmer : Sure enough. Say, is it true the Goblins take a girl sometimes and get to know her, then eat 'em?"

Guild Girl : There are cases where that has happened, sir."

The farmer was noticeably paler as he took out a sack. Guild Girl accepted it
without a waver in her perfect smile. It was terribly heavy...
The sack was filled mostly with copper coins, a few silver ones shining among them. There wasn't a single gold coin in the bag.

Guild Girl took a set of scales from underneath the counter. The value of the coins would be measured against an established weight.

Guild Girl : All right, I've confirmed the amount," she said after a moment.

Guild Girl ;You're all set here."

She doubted whether the reward would even come to ten full gold pieces.

Barely enough to hire a few Porcelain-rank adventurers at Guild rates.

Take into account the processing fees the Guild charged for acting as an intermediary, and the farmers might actually be in the red.