Chapter 30 - The Invitation

The next morning I woke up feeling refreshed. I didn't want to leave the bed but I knew I had to. I dragged myself up and got up to take a shower. After that, my energy was renewed and I packed my bag with the book from Grandma. I figured that I could read it when Will fell asleep.

I took a donut from the free breakfast in the lobby of the hotel. I thought about it and decided to take an extra one for Will. I was sure that it was better than hospital food not that he even ate that most of the time. I took a cab to the hospital and walked through the hallways. I knew my way around a little bit better now.

As soon as I arrived in Will's room I was shocked at what I saw. Two nurses where in the room monitoring Will's state. He was breathing hard and his heart monitor was beeping fast.

"My God," I wailed running to Will's side.

He looked over at me and I took his hand. He held onto my hand but his grip was very weak. I could barely register that the light weight of his hand in mind. Tears began to run down my cheeks but I didn't even care.

"You promised that you would be here," I accused

"I'm...here..." He wheezed hard with every breath. I looked to a nurse for help.

"It's taking over his heart and we're trying to steady his breathing," she explained the best she could. After a few minutes or so, his wheezing stopped but he still took large breaths. The nurses left telling us that I could push the button if Will needed help again.

I looked over at Will knowing that today was probably his last.

"I brought you a donut," I said trying not to cry.

Will shook his head and I put the donut away. I knew it probably hurt him to talk so I didn't press him to talk.

"Checka..." Will breathed. I looked over at him and grabbed his hand again. I waited patiently as he breathed out his message one word at a time.

"I know today is probably it for me but it isn't for you. I'm going to be with my love and I want you to go be with yours," Will requested. I nodded weakly at him. If only things were that simple.

"Thank you for coming to see me. It's meant so much," Will continued. I looked over at his heart monitor which had started slowing down. Will didn't seem to notice though as he kept his gaze on me.

"I'm so hopped up on drugs that I won't feel it. Don't worry," Will said as if reading my thoughts. He had become quite good at that lately.

"Okay," I mumbled quietly. "I am so glad that I got to meet you."

He nodded slowly taking in a large breath.

"Can I ask something of you?" I asked. Will looked at me expectantly. "Can you tell Mom, that...I miss her?"

Will gave me a smile and I noticed his heart rate decrease even more. "I know she loves you," he assured. "Just as I do."

I smiled at him and gently placed a kiss on his cheek. He brought a hand up on my cheek and whispered, "That guy sure is lucky." With those words he closed his eyes and his heart monitor went from slow beeps to one long monotonous beep.

I sighed letting the tears fall before I walked over to the nurse button and pushed it.

Nurses immediately rushed in and unhooked the monitor cutting off the noise. They must have known about the noise before the button was pressed. The nurses didn't even seem to be bothered by me as they must have been used to bystanders of this sort of thing. The doctor came shortly and ordered a nurse to pull me out of the room. I watched helplessly as another nurse wheeled in a defibrillator in a last attempt to save my father.