Chapter 21 - The Doubt

Nine o'clock couldn't have arrived any sooner. I started to realize that as the time neared, my nerves began to get riled up. What exactly did he want from me in his room where we would be all alone?

I figured that I was overeating for nothing since I had been in his room with him alone many times and he had been shirtless. I could be in the same room with him and not let it get awkward.

As the time rolled around, I took a deep breath and cautiously stepped out of my room. As soon as my foot was out in the hallway I pulled it back into my room, closed the door, and leaned against. What was I doing? I wasn't one to go to a boy's room at night and...and... Oh, who am I kidding? I had spent the night in his room once, but I had to ask myself that if it came down to it: did I really want to do it again?

I touched my lips and recalled the memory of Elliot's lips were on mine. Before I knew it, I was outside Elliot's door knocking away. It didn't take long for him to open the door and usher me inside. He glanced around the hallway as I entered to make sure we were not being watched.

I sighed and sat down gently on one of his chairs as he shut the door quietly. Elliot turned around and smiled at me as he leaned on the nearest wall.

"So?" he supplied...and that was when the awkwardness sunk in.

I looked down at my hands unsure of what to do or say. Elliot seemed to notice my silence and he tried to keep it from getting uncomfortable.

"Look," he said with a sigh, "I'm going to stick to what I said before and just be friends,"

"Before you said we shouldn't even be friends?" I pointed out confused.

"Yeah but you made things quite a bit more complicated," he muttered running a hand through his hair.

"You only want to be friends?" I asked not bothering to hide my disappointment. Elliot studied my expression a moment before shaking his head and walking closer. He kneeled down on one knee so our faces were level. I looked into his eyes that appeared to be a shade darker normal.

"It's against the rules," he replied softly.

I shook my head slightly then locked eyes with him again. I studied his features from his lips to his eyes to his entire face. Unsure of what came over me; I suddenly cupped his face in my hands and softly traced his lips with the pad of my thumb.

"I've never been known as a rule breaker," I whispered seductively. "It's kind of exciting."

I leaned forward and connected our lips together. I thought he might pull away but to my surprise, he stood up without disconnecting our lips and pushed me back into the chair. I sunk into the fabric of the chair enjoyed the feeling of his body against of me. Then before I could comprehend what was happening, I found myself falling backwards with Elliot landing on top of me effectively breaking our kiss.

I silently cursed and grabbed my now throbbing head. Elliot lifted himself off of me as I tried to ignore the pain in the back of my head. It was safe to say that the mood was ruined.

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," Elliot struggled not to shout as he offered a hand to me.

"What?" I wondered as he helped me stand then put the chair back into place.

Elliot sighed and walked over to his bed. "I don't think fate wants us to be together."

I held back a snort. "What does 'fate' know? Sure, we fell over on a chair and sure, we are against each other in this competition, but without it then we would have never met each other."

Elliot shook his head unconvinced and I joined him on the bed. Our shoulders touched and goose bumps prickled on my skin at the contact. Elliot seemed unfazed.