Chapter 26 - The Loneliness

The three judges stood before Elliot and I. The skinny one who looked like she was old enough to have been around when the competition was created was Rosanna. There was a large overweight man who might have been in his mid-forties named Bartholomew. Then there was the last judge who was a man maybe in his thirties named Jonathan. Rosanna did all of the talking or scolding.

"Now," Rosanna spoke. "Since you two have engaged in intimate activity we all have come up with a suitable solution."

"We haven't done anything intimate," I argued instantly.

Rosanna narrowed her eyes, "We have you on camera sneaking into his room on multiple nights."

My jaw dropped. "Since when have we had cameras in the castle?"

"We don't monitor them regularly. We only check them when we receive tips on possible dangers."

"What we've done isn't dangerous to anyone!" I struggled to keep my voice down.

"It is to the public! Could you imagine the mayhem if this little scandal got out?" Rosanna proposed. I knew it was a rhetorical question so I stayed silent. "Now onto your punishment: We've all decided that the only solution is to disqualify you both from the competition."

"No," I yelled.

Rosanna took a step back shocked by my outburst. I stood up and began begging, "We'll stop seeing each other. The public doesn't know and if we stop now they never will. We can be separated at all times with chaperones or at least I could always have a chaperone. You can watch the cameras all night long and we will never see each other unless absolutely necessary when it comes to the competition. Just please don't disqualify us."

I sat back down and glanced at Elliot who seemed surprised by my promises. Rosanna seemed to think about my offer. She walked over to the other two judges and they whispered among themselves. I peered over at Grandma who was still in the corner of the room just watching the scene take place. Her expression was unreadable making me feel horribly guilty for causing her all the trouble.

Rosanna turned around and looked from me to Elliot. "If you both agree to stop having contact with one another unless absolutely necessary, then we will let this whole thing slide."

"I agree," I said quickly before turning toward Elliot expectantly.

It took him a minute but finally he muttered, "Me too."

I breathed a sigh of relief. Rosanna looked annoyed that I was happy. "We will still be watching the cameras and Francesca you will be assigned a chaperone at all times. If this happens again then be assured you will be disqualified."

I nodded and saw Elliot nod as well. Rosanna excused Elliot to leave while I had to be excused with my grandmother. Grandma was silent as she led me back to my room.

She requested that I sit down on the bed and I followed her orders. Then she walked over to my dresser and grabbed the box of tissues off of it. She joined me on the bed and handed me the box expectantly.

"Just wait a few minutes," she explained quietly.

I was confused but then I started thinking about everything. I was happy that we didn't get disqualified. It's not that I cared or that I didn't care about myself. I just don't know how I could live myself if I was the one who caused Elliot to get kicked out of the competition. Oh, Elliot...

No more late night talks. No more comforting embraces. No more smug smirks, or sexual comments, or smart remarks No more goose bumps when his skin came into contact with mine. No more butterflies in the pit of my stomach when we kissed. Before I knew it, I had tears running down my cheeks and a few tissues in my hand to dab them away. I leaned on Grandma's shoulder and she patted my back soothingly as she let me cry.