Chapter 27 - The Turn of Events

When awoke, the room was dark and I was alone under my covers. Disappointment instantly fell over me as I reached around the bed to make sure of the realization. When I found that it was true, I rolled over on my side, making sure to keep the covers on me, and glanced at the clock.

1:00 A.M.

I sighed as I realized I didn't know when I would be able to see Elliot again. I didn't even get to thank him for the tiara and the note. I ran a hand through my messy hair and tried to go drift off back to sleep. I sighed deeply before I felt the other side of the bed dip down and an arm snake around my waist. I rolled over slightly confused only to find Elliot looking down at me.

"Sorry for waking you," he whispered.

"It's alright," I assured beaming at him and his presence. "What were you doing?"

"I just cracked open a window, it was kind of stuffy in here."

I nodded in understanding. "I thought you left me already."

"Never," he said nuzzling my nose with his own. I smiled as snuggled up to his bare chest and enjoyed the sound of his heartbeat. We stayed in that position for what could have been hours. It was soothing just to listen to each other breathe.

I was almost convinced that he had fallen back asleep when I heard, "I love this."

The smile on my face dropped as I wondered if I actually heard correctly. I leaned my head to peer up and quietly asked him to repeat himself.

I felt the arm around my shoulders begin to rub my arms slowly as Elliot did as I asked.

"What's this?" I had to ask as I bit my lip to keep from smiling. Maybe he didn't say he loved me but I had to admit, I liked the sound of those words coming from him.

"Just us...together like this," he explained.

"You mean us having sex?" I asked bluntly.

His chest bobbed up and down as he laughed.

"Not exactly." I glanced up at him a little hurt and he was quick to add, "Not that it wasn't great too."

I laid my head back on his chest and smiled to myself, "Yeah you were alright."

"Alright?" He scoffed, "I'm the experienced one!"

My playful smile didn't fall as I met his eyes, "You know that's not much of a turn on."

"See?" Elliot continued. "I just love all of this."

Before I could stop myself I blurted out, "I love you."

I've never heard of those words being a mood killer before but the room went instantly silent. So silent that even a pin dropping would have sounded like a volcanic explosion. My head rested on his chest as I uttered those fateful words so I didn't see his expression nor did I want to. My expression fell and I closed my eyes as I prepared for the worst words of rejection that I've ever heard but they never came. In fact, no words came at all which was almost worst than rejection.

I sighed causing my shoulders to drop, "I'm sorry."

Elliot seemed lifeless as he stopped stroking my shoulders and he didn't seem to be breathing. I repeated my apology. Elliot suddenly jolted back to life as his grip on my shoulders tightened and he used his other hand to lift my face up to his.

"Don't be sorry if it's true?" The last part seemed like a question. I nodded my head in confirmation.

I was quick to say, "I don't expect you to say it back in fact I didn't even expect to say it myself."