Chapter 24 - The Tears

Nightly visits continued and no one suspected a thing. Everyone's mind was on the upcoming event: the masquerade ball. Even I was caught up in the buzz and couldn't help feeling excited at the thought of it.

Though that excitement was short lived as Lady Monida requested that I actually read the second of the large novels she had given me when we started these lessons. It was all about the rules of the competition and other things I supposed I needed to know. I didn't read it much but instead just skimmed it whenever I had free time.

I was walking the halls while skimming the book when I heard my name being called from a voice I didn't recognize.

"Checka," a small voice screamed. I looked up from my book not believing my ears. I turned around totally surprised that there was a little brunette running toward me.

"Dell?" I was shocked beyond belief. She attacked me in a big bear hug as soon as she approached close enough. I returned the hug but was didn’t hide the fact that I was confused.

"I missed you," she squealed.

"I missed you too. What are you doing here?" Dell smile at me then twirled around in her light blue summer dress.

"The Queen sent us a letter telling us that we could come here and she would pay for it all!" Dell said happily. My book was totally forgotten as I closed it and held it under one arm.

"Us?"

"Nancy's here too!" She grabbed my hand and began pulling me along.

"Wait," I called as she stopped. "How long have you been here?"

"We just got here! This dude -Tony or something- was showing us around when I saw you." Dell resumed trying to pull me by the wrist. I allowed her and she led me to the main hallway where two people were standing.

"I found her!" Dell announced catching the attention of the couple in the hallway. As we neared, I was able to make out Nancy's distinctive features. As she saw me, she ran over and embraced me in a lung clenching hug.

"I missed you too." I chucked when she finally let go.

"Look at you," she marveled. "You look so much more mature."

I raised an eyebrow. "It hasn't even been a month."

"Yes, but it feels like it has been," Nancy gushed hugging me once more. She neared my ear and whispered, "Were you safe, dear?"

I immediately pulled away. "And now…we're done talking."

"So you were?"

I shook my head in disgust before changing the subject, "Why are you guys here?"

"Your grandmother wanted you to have some support," Nancy explained.

"Speaking of, Princess," Antonio spoke up for the first time.

"They call you 'Princess'? That is so cool!" Dell interrupted totally amazed.

"Your grandmother wanted me to tell you that she has requested a meeting with you as soon as possible," Antonio continued as if Dell hadn't spoken.

"Okay thank you," I told him. "Where are you guys staying?"

"The Queen has requested that they stay here," Antonio answered for them. "I was showing them to their room before the little one ran off."

"Sorry," Dell mumbled.

"Okay, well I'm going to meet up with my grandmother. Can you tell me their room numbers later?" I asked Antonio. He nodded to me and I looked toward Nancy and Dell.