Chapter 7 - The Competition

I awoke the next morning feeling groggy and ultimately tired. What a weird dream I had last night? I swear someone told me I was a Princess and I was whisked away to a magical kingdom where this really hot but arrogant Prince was waiting for me.

I sat up on the cloud of a mattress and surveyed my surroundings. This was not my room in the orphanage so that meant... all that wasn't a dream. Well, except for the 'magical' stuff and the 'waiting for me' part. My mind tends to wander when I'm exhausted.

I swung my legs over the bed and wiped the sleep out of my eyes. I stretched as I yawned noisily and walked into the bathroom. Actually, I walked into what I thought was the bathroom, it ended up being a closet, a walk-in four mile long closet. Not really but my head wasn't fully awake yet. I walked out of the closet slightly dazed. Surveying the room, I spotted another door and approached it.

I yanked it open and peered my head outside only to realize that it was the hallway. That wasn't the bathroom either. Julie was slumped against a wall and her figure came to life once she spotted me.

"Oh you're awake! Good." Julie stood up straight and welcomed herself into my room. I closed the door behind her and with another yawn asked about the time.

"It's about 11:00," Julie replied as she sat on my bed.

"A.M.?" I questioned stupidly. Julie nodded then bounced up on my bed.

"You royals always have the most comfortable beds," she claimed. I just rolled my eyes at her use of the term 'royals' like I was some sort or dog breed.

"How many others of us are there?" I leaned against the wall going along with her terms.

"Well, there's the Queen, of course, and you, Elliot, and Luke," Julie mumbled the last name.

"Wait! Luke is a Prince too?" I leaned my head on the wall and closed my eyes.

"You three are the most important royals we have," Julie explained as she steadied herself.

"Why?" I wondered as I gazed at her tiredly.

Julie giggled as if it was some inside joke. "Come on, let's get ready!"

It was then I remembered my search for the bathroom. My grandma expected me to walk around the castle when I couldn't even find my way around my own room. I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to do it.

"The washroom is over there," Julie pointed to the only door left in the room that I hadn't noticed. I left her and walked quickly over to the door. Inside the bathroom was the largest bathtub I had ever seen. It looked like a Jacuzzi. The shower was separate and hidden behind a piece of wall. The mirror was behind the double sinks and took up the entire wall.

As I walked in, I could very clearly see the static my hair had picked up during the night. With a smile to Julie, I entered back into my room and grabbed my toiletries from one of my many suitcases. I quickly set up my toothbrush along the sink. After taming the mess that was my hair, I moved on to brushing my teeth.

"You royals all have lovely washrooms as well," Julie commented from the bathroom doorway. We were going to have to talk about this 'royal' thing.

I spit out a mouthful of toothpaste before I ventured to ask, "Who else's room have you been in?"

Her cheeks turned pink as she looked away. I finished rinsing out my mouth then turned toward Julie.

"Do you like Luke?" I asked directly.

She seemed surprise at how direct I was, "He's a wonderful gentleman but I wouldn't say that I fancy him."

I held back the snort that threatened to come out since her accent shone through, "I think you do fancy him."