Chapter 13 - The Piano

The next few days passed in a blur. My morning lessons were the simple basics such as curtsying the proper way. Supposedly there is a wrong way to curtsy which, of course, is the way I do it. Bandit knew how to sleep through the entire night which made things easier for me. Elliot stopped all contact with me. Every time we were in the same room I would try to build up the courage to speak first. It never happened.

Lady Monida commanded that I had to read the first of the massive novels she had given me. I was busy with Bandit and lessons that most of the time I read as I traveled through the halls. Dangerous, I know, thanks to the last time but I was learning how to better my multitasking skill.

One morning, I was walking and skimming when I heard the sound of music coming from inside a room I passed by. Intrigued, I stopped dead in my tracks and listened closely. I slowly stalked up to the nearest door and put my ear to the wood. The melody of a piano flowed through the walls of the room.

Curiosity got the best of me and I found myself opening the door quietly and peering inside. The room was full of musical instruments but the one being used was the enormous white piano in the corner of the room. The sweet melody grew louder as I stepped into the room and set my book on the ground.

A little girl, who couldn't have been much older than Dell, was playing on the ivory keys. Her fingers flowed on the keys as if she had been playing since she was in the womb. I was amazed that she sounded like a professional.

She finished the song and held the last key so the sound would linger for a while. I stood from across the room and waited until she was completely done with her song. She set her talented hands in her lap then shook her head. Just as I was about to approach her, she raised her hands and stabbed at the keys violently letting out shrill notes that didn't go together at all.

Startled, I stepped back against the wall and watched as the little girl began to sob. I didn't understand how she could play something so beautiful, then viciously pierce the keys, and then break down and cry. I took a step closer to her as my natural instinct told me to comfort her.

"Hey," I tried to say gently though she seemed to ignore me. I took a step further and touched her shoulder. She jolted at my touch and turned toward me with red puffy eyes. I sat next to her on the piano bench and watched as she turned away and continued to sob.

Feeling helpless I asked, "Are you okay?"

She didn't respond and I touched her shoulder again comfortingly. She looked up at me and I repeated my questioned. She wiped her eyes then nodded slowly. I tilted my head and waited for her to speak.

Finally she directed her attention to me. "You're the princess?"

I nodded and smiled as I encouraged her to speak again.

"My brother has told me about you," she stated never taking her eyes off of me. Her eyes that were the same green blue as...

"You're Elliot's sister?" I blurted in disbelief.

She nodded but added nothing.

"You play beautifully." I commented as a silence fell over us.

"Thank you," she mumbled.

"Do you think you could play something else for me?" I wondered. Ellie, as I recalled her name, studied me for a minute then agreed. She sniffled a little before facing the keys and placing her fingers in the proper position. Seconds later, beautiful notes were filling the room as Ellie's fingers seemed to merge with the piano. The song was wonderfully soothing that it reminded me of a lullaby. I swayed slowly back and forth as the music flowed freely.