XII

January 3rd, 2019

Dear Belle,

I hope this letter finds you well. I also hope you and Autumn are okay. Things have really quieted down since the spring, and there's nothing to do. No one to save, no one to run from, nothing to do things for. Being who I am is pointless.

I understand why you left. I don't belong here, either, but where else do I have to go?

I suppose I should just say why I'm writing this. You'll more than likely throw it out anyway. I should get my point across before you 

I'm writing to apologize for what happened in the spring. I know what I did wasn't right, but I knew you wouldn't be in a good state if things went haywire. As soon as I knew things went wrong, you acted as I expected. That sounds terrible, I know, but hear me out.

Think of how long I've known you. I can tell when things go bad. I've seen you have some of your bad days, and I know more than anyone how to treat them. Well, more than anyone who's left, I suppose.

I know an apology won't do much, especially after everything that's happened. But I figured it's better than nothing, and that you should know.

If you ever need someone, don't hesitate to reach out. Despite what happened, I do care about you, Belle.

Yours,

SR

January 17th, 2019

Steven,

None of that gives you the right to drug one of your best friends. Especially your best friend's wife. If it happens again there will be consequences.

You know who I am and what I can do. Don't say I didn't warn you.

-BB

January 19th, 2019

Belle,

I'm well aware of what you can do. I almost experienced it first hand in DC. 

SR

February 7th, 2019

Steven,

Then you'll do well to not make the same mistake twice.

-BB

March 2019

"Do you think they've finished working on it, ma?" Autumn asked softly.

"I think so. But it's probably going to be busy, because it's the anniversary of it all." Belle pulled her hair up into a messy, tangled bun. "At least your school gave you the rest of the week off. I didn't think they would."

"Me either." Autumn admitted. "But you would've pulled me out anyway."

"A lot of other parents would. You're not the only student there who lost a family member or someone important. Imagine showing up to teach your class and there's no one there." Belle chuckled.

Autumn grinned. "They'd have so much fun teaching to an empty room."

Belle scoffed. "That'd be the highlight of their career, I'm sure."