XII

"Are you sure about this?" James asked her.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." She stood in the doorway of the hotel room. "I mean, we had to leave today anyway."

"Right. I just assumed we'd be leaving together."

She nodded slowly. "You'll both be fine. It's for the best, anyway."

"What if they come for you?"

"Let them."

James nodded. "We're going to Romania. Bucharest. If you ever get this sorted out...."

"I'll come find you." She finished. "I promise."

"Okay." He whispered. "Can I...." He reached a hand towards her.

She pushed her feelings aside and nodded. She took his hand. He pulled her close to him and held her against his chest. He pressed a kiss to the top of her head. She tightened her grip on him. 

For a few moments, she forgot what she remembered hours prior. For now, she felt safe in his arms. Safe, as if nothing could touch her.

A few tears trickled down her cheeks. James stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head again.

"If you're going to kiss me, do it already." The words tumbled from her mouth before she could even stop them.

He looked at her. "You want me to?"

"I wouldn't mind." She breathed. 

He touched his forehead to hers. "Not yet." He murmured.

"Okay." She whispered. "Promise me you'll be safe. Both of you."

"I promise." He murmured. "I'll try my best."

"That's all I ask."

He held her tightly. It was as if he didn't want her to go.

She didn't want to go. But she couldn't risk both of them being hurt, or worse, because of her.

"Don't go." His voice cracked. "Please."

"You know I have to." She murmured. "I don't want anything to happen because of me."

"Stay. Please." He took her face in his hands. "Please."

"You know I can't."

He brushed his thumbs over her cheeks. "What if I never see you again? What if something happens to you? I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you and I wasn't there to stop it."

Maybe he had a point.

"I don't want-"

"I know." He whispered. "I'm scared something is going to happen to you if you leave. I'll never forgive myself. What if you get hurt? Who's going to look after you and not take advantage of you?"

"James...."

He was persuasive. He had a way with his words, that's for sure. She wanted to stay so badly. She wanted to make it work. They could be a family - almost. As close to a family as they could get.

He brushed his thumb over her lips. "Can I kiss you?"

She nodded. "I thought you'd never ask."

He leaned down and brushed his lips over hers. She stood on her toes and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

He was so gentle. So soft. She leaned on him, tracing patterns onto his shoulders.

"Was that enough persuasion to make you stay?" He whispered.