III

June 19, 1945

For some reason, she felt uneasy about her partner. She couldn't remember him ever doing anything to hurt her. He would never do that, would he? 

She sat on a bed, keeping her gaze fixed on the white wall across the room.

All of the walls were white. The floor was white, the bed was white. She barely moved. She didn't dare to. She didn't want to know what would happen to her if she did something without being told.

The two men poked and prodded her with things, taking samples of her body fluids.

Her partner sat in a chair next to the bed. He had his hands folded in his lap, waiting, watching, and listening.

The men spoke to each other in hushed voices, often glancing over at her.

One walked over and grabbed her arm, turning it to access the inside of her elbow. She watched as more blood was drawn from her body. 

When the men left the room, she shot her partner a sideways glance. He was either lost in thought or ignoring her. Or both.

"Aren't you curious as to what they're saying about you?"

She scoffed. "Not particularly."

"They say you're ill."

"I didn't ask."

Ill? What could he mean by that? Ill how? Her physical health was always in perfect condition; she couldn't remember a time when it wasn't. How else could she be ill?

The two men walked back into the room, holding some papers. She tilted her head slightly. As curious as she was, she didn't ask a single question.

"Come with us."

She got to her feet. Her partner followed, but the men snapped at him. "Sit."

He sat back down and crossed his arms. She followed the men out of the room. So many questions burned her tongue, but she refused to ask any of them.

She stepped into an empty room after them. A dozen questions must've been burning in her eyes, because one said "Go ahead."

"What's wrong with me?"

They exchanged a glance. 

"There's nothing wrong with you. We're only running some tests."

"He overheard you say I was ill."

They exchanged a glance. "You're being pulled from your training for the next six to seven months."

"I don't understand."

"You don't need to. You'll find out on your own."

She found it strange that since she wasn't training, she had some soft of freedom. Within reason, of course. She was limited to the physical activity she could do, where she could go, and when she could go those places.