X

"She doesn't know?" Natasha asked, looking at Belle with a horrified expression after Belle had revealed everything.

Belle shook her head. "How am I supposed to tell my daughter, the only thing that's keeping me here right now, that she wasn't supposed to be born? How do I tell her that she came from one of my most traumatic memories?"

"You don't have to tell her now. Not when she's grieving. It can wait, Belle." Natasha assured her.

Belle sighed and rubbed her forehead. "We're alone in this world and the one person who I thought understood ended up drugging me. I know I'm overreacting, but...."

"I warned him about what would happen and he didn't listen." Natasha shook her head slowly. "I know what it's like to be betrayed. I'm sorry, Belle." She reached over and squeezed Belle's hand. 

Belle went to say something, however, the door opened, and there stood Steve.

"Nat, can I-" Steve stopped when he saw Belle. "Belle. Can I talk to you?"

"No." She crossed her arms.

"Why not?"

"You know damn well why. You drugged me!"

"Okay, first of all-"

"I don't want to hear it!" Belle stood up from her chair. "I don't care if it was for my own good! I would have been fine, all I needed was time to grieve naturally, not have that ripped away from me! I trusted you, Steven, and then you broke it."

Steve stared at her. "Belle, if you would please listen to me-"

"Not now." She huffed. "You broke my trust, Steven, and now you're going to have a hell of a time trying to get it back."

He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't going to fix it." Belle shook her head. "I'm in the middle of a conversation, and I'd greatly appreciate it if you left."

Natasha flashed Steve a look that said, "I told you so." and nodded towards the door. With a defeated sigh, Steve turned and left.

A few seconds after he was gone, Belle began to weep quietly. All of these changes and betrayals weren't helping her mental state. Slowly, she'd spiral back down to where she was all those years ago, after all the work she put in to be better.

To do better.

Natasha sat next to her and kept a gentle hand on her shoulder, but kept quiet. Although Belle would never admit it out loud, she was grateful for Natasha's silent presence.

Natasha sat silently with her, never once moving from beside her.

Belle wept until she had no tears left to cry. There was so much to cry about, and not enough tears to go around. 

"I think she deserves to know." Natasha spoke softly. "Not now, but before she finds out on her own. She's old enough to understand."

Belle sighed. "I know." She rubbed her head. "It's not something that can just casually come up in a conversation."

"You'll find a time." Natasha promised. "But right now isn't a good time. It is a good time to go back to her, though. I'm sure she's worried."

Belle exhaled. "You're right." She ran a hand through her hair. "But putting the thought that she wasn't wanted into her head isn't going to end well."

"If you take your time, it'll be fine." Natasha assured her. "She's a great kid. She'll understand."

"I really hope you're right."