VI

"Are you heading out soon, Belle?" Catherine asked.

Belle shook her head. "I have to finish some papers before I leave. I'll be here at least another hour, if not two."

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

"I'll be okay. Thanks though."

"I'll stay with you." Hazel piped up. "I should finish some of my papers too."

"You don't have to."

"I'll stay." Hazel huffed. "You can't tell me no."

"Okay, okay, you can stay. I'll see you tomorrow, Catherine."

"See you." The redhead grabbed her jacket and left, leaving Belle and Hazel alone.

The two of them sat in silence for quite some time. The only sounds were the sounds of pens scratching on paper. Eventually, Hazel spoke up.

"Have you ever been in love, Belle?"

She looked up, startled. "Why do you ask?"

"You seem like the type of person to fall in love."

Belle glanced at the clock. It was nearing midnight. Everyone always started asking personal questions around midnight.

"I was in love once." Belle admitted. "He was a sweetheart."

"What happened?" Hazel paused. "You don't have to say, of course."

"No, it's alright. He was a sweetheart. Then I heard stories of him kissing other girls while I was in school. I told him off and haven't talked to him in over three years."

"Barnes?"

Belle looked up, startled. "How did you know?"

"Our sisters are best friends. I see him a lot, really. He always walks his sister to my apartment. He's sweet sometimes. His sister talks about you."

"She does?"

"She says she heard you the day you graduated. Apparently you'd be a good singer." Hazel shrugged. "I can see it."

"I'll just stay where I am. I hate performing in front of people." Belle chuckled. "What about you? Have you been in love?"

Hazel shook her head. "I've never loved a man."

Belle glanced around, then lowered her voice. "What about a woman?"

Her friend gasped and quickly covered her mouth. Belle pushed her hand away. "I take it I'm right."

"You can't tell anyone!" Hazel pleaded. "You know they'll have me locked up or killed."

"I'm not going to tell anyone." She assured. "Who was it? Tell me!"

"Not here!"

"Then let's go." Belle grabbed her jacket. "I'm all caught up. Are you?"

Hazel nodded.

"I want to know everything." Belle said excitedly, inching to the door. "Come on."

"You're impatient, good grief. Where are we going?"

"Your apartment or mine?"

"Yours. Mines a bit of a mess."

"Okay." Belle chirped.

Both Belle and Hazel were giggling the entire walk back. As soon as they stepped into Belle's apartment, Hazel sighed. "Thank goodness."

"Okay, from the beginning. Start." Belle sat down on the couch. "I want to know everything."