Chapter Thirty

Jake Seresin
The Pacific Ocean

    Just about 24 hours later, the six pilots called for duty were board the carrier taking them out to sea, almost at the destination. They were preparing to embark upon the mission they were called for. There had been a briefing that morning on what to expect. The US carrier that was at risk had a mechanical issue and ended up in enemy water without defense. The enemy was inbound to take it out, and the goal was to protect the carrier and remove any bandits.

    They were warned by Cyper and Cyclone that this could get dangerous, there was a chance of dog fighting, which was a challenge against 5th generation fighters. That was the anticipated top of the line fighter, one that the Navy had never seen before. Their F/A-18s were not much against these machines. Jake was thrilled by the excitement of it. He hadn't gone on too many actual assignments in his short time in the Navy, and this was a big one. Not everyone was as thrilled, Rooster looked like he was going to pass out. He was sweating and looked pale, Jake wasn't sure if he was nervous or if he was stressing over Haley going out. Maybe a bit of both. Haley had been elected the team leader

    Jake was getting ready to climb into his jet when Haley approached him. He turned around and saluted her with a big grin. He was just being a dick.

    "Yes, Supreme Leader Lieutenant Seresin?" Jake asked.

    Haley gave him a look. "Drop the act." She told him and he looked at her a little more seriously. "Good luck." Haley said and Jake nodded. The two of them weren't the best at expressing anything deeper than that. He knew under the line though, she wanted him to be careful. Do the job, but don't be a reckless idiot. He felt the same way toward her.

    "Give 'em hell, team leader." Jake responded. He climbed up into his jet as they were about to be taking off. He pulled on his black and yellow helmet with "H_NGM_N" on the front. His patches had been removed off his flight suit though, as they were with any kind of mission. Not to give away anything identifying.

    Jake glanced around the carrier deck as things were getting fired up. He saw Haley go over to Rooster for a moment before they both got into their own planes. And just like that, they were deploying first from the carrier and moved for take off. "Dagger one, ready for take off." Haley said as they got into formation. They were given the go-ahead and took off down the runway. They lifted off into the air.

    "Dagger two, ready for take off." Rooster's voice came over the radio.

    "Dagger three, ready for take off." Phoenix next.

    "Dagger four, ready for take off." Jake last.

    The group of four began their journey to the mission site, flying in the dagger formation, waiting to see what lurks ahead for them.

    "Into the danger zone we go." Blaze commented as they headed out.

Jake would never admit it, but it sounded ominous.