Chapter Eighteen

Sabrina Calloway

    About two days after the Halloween party, Sabrina was busy trying to catch up on homework. She was ready to be done and have her master's degree, the course load was draining. She had the house to herself to work on it though, Haley was in class. It was a random morning that Sabrina did not actually have school or work. She was glancing over her calendar, trying to sort things out. She was looking over all her upcoming due dates and sighed. There was a shit ton to get done before the end of the semester.

    Sabrina noticed something unusual on her calendar. Her period was due a week ago.....and it hadn't come. She went back to look at the previous month to make sure the dates were right, but it was. She had a tracker attached to her watch. She sat back in her desk chair and thought for a moment. She knew her and Jake were careful, neither of them wanted an unplanned pregnancy. Sabrina was on the pill, and they used condoms. She knew there was once a few weeks ago they hadn't, which now worried her. She glanced at the time and grabbed her keys. She wasn't going to sit and stress over this for days. She was a week late and knew she needed to find out what was going on.

    After a quick run to the store, she returned home with a pregnancy test. She had never had to take one in her life and for some reason, almost felt ashamed. She knew there was no reason to be, but she supposed it was the same reason you still sometimes felt awkward buying tampons at the store even as an adult. Sabrina read over the instructions before taking the test. It was all very straight forward. She felt sick to her stomach though as she waited on the results. She had no idea what she was going to do if it turned out she was pregnant. Her and Jake weren't even dating.....she honestly didn't know what to call it. Not to mention, they had only been together about two months.

    Sabrina made her way to the test when it was time and looked it over.

    Fuck, fuck, fucking fuck fuck shit.

    The screen on the test read 'pregnant' clear as day. She immediately threw up from the anxiety of it all then sat against the bathroom wall after she rinsed her mouth out. She wasn't sure why, but she was still holding the test as if it was going to somehow change. Normally, her first call would have been to Haley for help. But one, she couldn't call Haley. She was in class. Number two, she'd have to tell Haley who the father was. She doubted Haley wouldn't ask any questions. If it was accurate that was. Sabrina knew there was a chance it wasn't, but she didn't know how often false positives happened.

    Sabrina sat the test on the ground and picked up her phone. Jake was in class too, and she didn't feel ready to talk to him yet. She was still trying to process everything. She debated on whether to make this phone call, but decided to anyway.

    "Hey, sweetie. Is everything okay?" Susanna Calloway asked on the other end of the phone.

    Sabrina knew sometimes you still needed your mom, no matter how old you were. She was the only daughter in her family, she had brothers. "Mom, I need to talk to you. And you can't say anything to anyone, okay? Especially not Dad." Sabrina began. "Promise?"

    "Alright, but are you okay?" Her mom answered.

    "I don't know what to do and you're literally the only person I can talk to right now." Sabrina said, feeling her eyes watering.

    "Baby, talk to me. What's going on? Do you want me to drive up?" Susanna asked. Her parents lived very close to North Island, which had pros and cons. Cons for the times she wanted space from them, pros for times like this.