Chapter Twenty-One

Sabrina Calloway

    A week had passed since the explosion at the house. The metaphorical explosion, though it felt like a real one to Sabrina. She had stopped reaching out to Haley, and Jake had too, to give her some space. Sabrina also felt like she needed some herself for a few different reasons. She appreciated that Rooster had let her know that Haley was okay and had started to calm down. She knew Haley well, and she rarely got angry. When she did, she took a few days to simmer down. Whereas her brother, exploded immediately. They were like polar opposites when it came to emotions.

    That Friday night, she was with Jake down at the beach. They were playing a game of football. It was mostly the other Top Gun pilots, but a few had brought along dates. It was the usual crowd, Coyote, Phoenix, Payback, Fanboy, Bob. Haley and Rooster were not there, and noticeably absent was Blaze. Usually he came to those things, but no one knew where he was. Phoenix had mentioned she thought something was going on with his dad, but she wasn't sure. Normally Haley would be the person to ask, but it wasn't an option at the moment.

    Despite all of it, Sabrina had focused on other things that week and Jake. She had been worried he wouldn't forgive her for the pregnancy incident. But he had seemed to understand where she had been coming from. She knew the timing wouldn't have been ideal, but she had a strong suspicion if she wanted kids one day, it wasn't going to be easy. She hadn't been ready to find out what was going on though. That part of the last week was the piece she had not dealt with.

    It was November, but was still just warm enough out to play. Sabrina had on shorts and a tank top, but was considering ditching the top at this point. She had started to get hot. She was on the opposite team from Jake, Coyote had picked her first as the other team Captain, which sent steam out of Jake's ears. Everyone knew at this point they were together, that ship had sailed, so they weren't hiding it anymore. Bob didn't say it, but he had seemed relieved it was out now.

    Sabrina caught the ball from Phoenix and was running to their end with it. She had never been that into sports, but it was fun time to time. She worked out but wasn't hardcore into exercise. She almost made it to their homemade end zone when she was tackled to the ground. She was on her stomach and was pinned down.

    "Nice try."

    Sabrina scowled, though Jake couldn't see her face. He could though a moment later when he flipped her over. She was face to face with his smug ass grin. She looked into his green eyes and wondered how of all the people on this planet, this was who she was with. She sure as hell never expected it, but she also didn't see past him either. He had unexpectedly been what she had been looking for. He leaned down to kiss her and she bit his lip, causing him to recoil. Sabrina rolled out from underneath him, and her team cheered.

    Technically, she couldn't keep going to score in a real game. But they had modified the rules a bit for the sand football. Sabrina took off running one she was back on her feet and made it for a touchdown. Phoenix high-fived her. "That was cold." She told her with a grin. Phoenix wasn't fond of Jake so it wasn't surprising she was into it. Especially since it caused them to win the game.

    "He'll get over it." Sabrina replied, smiling back at her.

    "Is Hurricane cool with the two of you? I noticed they weren't speaking this week. Not unless it was necessary anyway for the assignments." Phoenix asked.

    Sabrina's smile faded. "Not exactly. I don't know." She answered as Jake walked up.

    "You're lucky you're hot and I'm into you. That was dirty, Calloway." Jake told her. "I'm not quite sure I can forgive you for treason."