Chapter Eight

Jake Seresin

    Jake was waiting outside for Haley so they could go for their run. He was down on the sidewalk in between the two houses they were renting. He found that his mind kept going back to last night, and the conflicted feelings he'd had about that being the end of it. He didn't want it to be the end of things with Sabrina. He enjoyed his time with her, even outside of the sex. Which he had zero complaints about, but he enjoyed her company. She made him laugh, she was a smart ass, and God she was beautiful. Jake didn't know what he wanted, but he knew he was craving more time with her. Whatever that may be, he felt like he'd even settle for being her friend.

   "Morning, twin." Haley greeted as she approached him. "Looking to attract a mate?" She inquired. Her tone indicated she thought it was ridiculous that he was planning to run shirtless. She had on a sports bra and shorts, but she was mostly covered. She wasn't exactly modest, but Haley had never been one to flaunt herself either. She always seemed oblivious to guys looking at her though, which Jake always felt like she had to be blind.

    "I can do that fully clothed like a piece of cake. This is just a preview." Jake answered with a grin. They both took a few minutes to stretch a little before heading out. Despite how they had both acted the day before, he could tell things between them were fine. They always seemed to know they got competitive and could let it go.

    Haley leaned over to stretch, and her ponytail moved off her neck where it had been. Jake looked over at her and leaned over as he noticed something on her neck that he did not expect to see. He suddenly was filled with amusement and knew he had to give her shit. "What have we here?" He asked. "Little old for hickeys, aren't we?" He couldn't fucking believe it either, and definitely couldn't hide his amused expression.

    Haley's eyes widened. Jake realized she must not have known it was there, because she looked shocked. Which made him think back to Sabrina's comment about if Haley had even come home last night. She walked over to a parked car on the street, using the side mirror to see for herself.

"Flat iron," Haley told him. It was obviously a lie, he could hear it in her voice. Not to mention, Jake knew that was the typical girl cover for a hickey.

"Right." Jake responded sarcastically. "So what amateur did that little number?" He thought anyone by this age should know better. Which meant whoever this was definitely wanted to do it. That intrigued Jake some, only because he hadn't realized Haley was seeing anyone. It couldn't be another pilot, Jake felt like he had scared them all off trying to date his sister.

Haley walked back from the car mirror. "It was nothing. And he wasn't an amateur." She replied, "And this conversation is finished." She added.

Jake tilted his head as he stood up. "Then someone wanted to leave a mark." He didn't press further since she wanted to drop it. They were close, but didn't always have to tell each other everything. He respected her boundaries and if she didn't want to discuss it, he wasn't going to continue. Besides, he mostly just wanted to give her shit for it.

Haley looked like she was about to argue, but decided against it. She appeared to be in thought for a moment but never said anything else on the matter. "Let's go," She took off in a jog down the street.

Jake followed behind, catching up to her. The two kept the same pace as they headed out on their run. The weather was pretty decent for September, and especially in the morning. It felt a little chilly, but was good weather to be out for a run in. Jake loved that about California.

"So what do you think of the class so far?" Haley asked as they ran.

"Obviously you and are tops," Jake answered confidently and Haley added, "Obviously."

"Phoenix is pretty good. I'd never say that to her face, but she is." Jake commented, as they turned a corner. They were heading down toward the beach. It was almost empty this time of the morning. "Coyote has stuff to work on and a few other seem to have potential." It was the truth, everyone there was good. They knew that, but Jake was quick to find flaws.

"What about Rooster?" Haley asked. It felt random to be so specific, but Jake didn't press the question. He noticed she quickened her pace a little to keep up with him. She was having to go twice as fast being shorter. Jake didn't slow down for her though, knowing she wouldn't want him to.

"Never should have been let in. Too slow, too careful. You can't fly like that here." Jake answered, "Not to mention I just don't like him, I don't respect him. Either fly like you have a purpose or get out." He was sure Rooster had some good qualities, he was a team player for one. But Jake just didn't like him, probably partially due to the fact he found Rooster irritating in general.

"He's not that bad if you get to know him. People could say the same about us." Haley pointed out. She almost sounded a little defensive, but Jake remember she was friends with Rooster. Why, Jake had no idea. He couldn't possibly imagine what they had in common, but had been friends all during the Naval Academy. Jake didn't disagree, both him and Haley could come off as arrogant a lot.

"The difference is, I don't care what people think of me. As long as I'm the best. Hanging back like him doesn't get you picked for missions," Jake told her. "And I don't have to like him either. The only reason you became friends with him was you have a soft spot for broken things." Rooster had a tragic history, his dad was killed when he was a pilot at Top Gun when Rooster was a kid. Jake had found that out a while back. And he had heard from Haley, Rooster lost his mom too right at the end of high school. No siblings, nothing.

Haley kept jogging and didn't respond. Jake felt like he struck a nerve with her, but he said nothing else about Bradshaw after that. The two continued their run, chatting about various things and also ran in silence some too. They finished at a shop where they both got a protein shake. Jake led the way to the deck of the shop so they could be outside.

"Do you think mom and dad would be proud of us?" Haley asked, looking out at the water. She took a few sips from her shake, not looking at him. It was sometimes a touchy subject.

    Their accident had been right after the two of them had started the Naval Academy. Jake had isolated himself a lot then, while Haley sought comfort in friends. Namely Bradshaw, being one of them. They had both handled the situation differently. Haley had been there when it happened, Jake hadn't. He always felt guilty that he wasn't there the night of the car accident, but there was nothing he could have done.

Jake didn't look over at her either. The topic of their parents wasn't one they brought up too often. He didn't always feel comfortable discussing it. "Yeah, I do." He finally said. "You know I am proud of you too, right?" He asked, looking over at her. "I don't say it enough, but I am. And look where we are." Jake felt immensely proud of her. She was an incredible pilot and honestly the best sister. He felt lucky to have her.

"The beach?" Haley remarked. She knew he meant Top Gun, but was being a brat. He reached over and ruffled the top of her blonde hair, sending it in all different directions. "Hey!" She said, leaning back away from him laughing.

"Thanks, though." Haley added, sounding more serious.

"And?" Jake asked, "Where's my, 'you're a kick ass fighter pilot, Jake. You'll definitely finish top of the class'?"

"I don't tell lies, Jakey." Haley answered, sticking her tongue out at him. She used to call him that when they were growing up. He always hated it and that had amused her, so she periodically would still call him that. "That plaque will have my name on it."

"We'll see, sis. We'll see." Jake said with a wink.