𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟔𝟐 { Hold On A Little Longer }

Start from the beginning

"No, no. I should leave you to it then." Her footsteps get closer to the door and just as she's about to grab the handle, Cora's shoulders drop and she turns back around. The contemplation over her features already let me know what this was about. Who, rather.

"...are you still in love with him?"

I don't look up from the paper in my hand but much to my dismay my rigid body already gives me away. All the air I just took in to oxygenate my body gets sucked out of my lungs making it harder for my organs to properly function. I surprise myself when I answer. "I can't imagine the day when I won't ."

A satisfied smile appears on her lips and I look away because I know my cheeks are probably ten shades of red right now.

"Just don't give up on him. He hasn't. Besides anyone with eyes can see the way you two look at each other." Cora ends the conversation with that and strolls out of the room like she didn't just flip my world on its axis.

A while after I've mentally recuperated, my phone vibrates. A picture of Elliot and I matching on Halloween, set as his contact picture pops up along with the notification.

El: I stopped by at your apartment and you weren't there. I'm worried Sage. Heading in for work now. Please call me.

Shit. I have to leave now before he gets here. I throw the mini-size travel bag with all my hygiene products in my purse along with my laptop and a couple files that needed to be faxed.

Once I lock the door to my office, I head for the elevator that opens on cue with a ding and steps inside.

"Hold the doors please." A deep smooth voice fills my ears. The familiar sound sends shockwaves down my spine and when a tatted muscular arm stops the elevator from sliding close, I somehow knew.

"Ms.Winters."

I don't turn to look.

The crippling tension over the added elevator music is purely contradictory.

Why the hell is he here? Well, his agent is here Sage, so it makes perfect sense as to why he's also here.

"Mr. Stone." I respond, before pressing the button for level one.

The doors close and I imagine so many things that could take place in this tight elevator. In my peripheral vision, I scan him from head to toe. He's dressed much more casually than last night in a plain black leather man jacket along with black jeans, but that doesn't stop me from soaking in the view.

He catches me staring and I avert my gaze almost immediately. My cheeks warm and light goosebumps break out on my skin when a dark shadow looms behind me. He's moved so he's out of sight and if I want to even see a glimpse of him, I have to turn completely around.

I close my eyes, savoring our close proximity.

I'm tempted to be the first one to break the silence but he beats me to it.

"I took care of it. The press. None of those pictures from last night will ever touch the internet." His voice is toneless, void almost.

"I know, thanks," I reply, instantly hating the desperation in my voice. The ride down seems longer than usual and I can't tell if it's because of the man behind me or my heightened awareness.