-| 04 |-

—|—^—|—
-| FOUR |-
-•-•-•-

-| TOPGUN, NORTH ISLAND |-

Marcus spends the night in his childhood home with Penny and his half-sister, Amelia. They had dinner together the night before and they even sat around the fire pit in the backyard for hours talking about Marcus' time away. It was the perfect night for them as they all knew he was back to serious business in the morning.

Before Marcus left to meet Pete at the base, Amelia gave him a bracelet. One she made of red, white and blue string. Yes, she is a young teenager but you could never be too old to make jewelry for your loved ones, especially if it's a good luck charm.

Ghost knew today was going to be tough on him. He'd have to hide his feelings about flying a jet again for the first time since the crash and hide his nerves about not having Sharp with him as it became something he'd grown to be used to. He knew it was going to be weird not having a back-seater and definitely more weird not having Hunter around... but he has to adapt... and he will, simply because he must.

-•-•-•-

Marcus and Pete were given clearance to fly their designated F-18s before the training began to allow them to become comfortable with the jets once again as it's been a while since they've flown them. Marcus was the one to approach this slowly as his nerves nearly got the best of him.

MAVERICK: "Don't think, son... just do."

GHOST: "Yeah." he said uncharacteristically.

MAVERICK: "Remember... fly for Sharp. Do this for him." he said patting his son's back as encouragement.

GHOST: "Thanks, Pete."

Pete squeezes Marcus' shoulder before walking to his jet. Both of their jets have black and blue stripes while the other are plan. The stripes indicate that they are the instructors.

Ghost walks to the jet's nose and rubs his hand along the side of the aircraft until he get to the ladder. He wraps his hands around the sides of the slim ladder. He takes a deep breath and climbs up to the cockpit.

He was used to a two-seater F-18, seeing just one seat inside invited him more than he had expected, no one else to be responsible for. He didn't expect to be so-called jazzed about flying again, but the feeling of being alone was one he felt comfortable of.

A new chapter, a new feeling, a new start.

-•-•-•-

Ghost and Maverick fly side by side above the clouds at speeds that calm the calm. The hum of the jet is soothing to Ghost so is the ability to see a full view of how small we are.

MAVERICK: "You good, Ghost?"

Mav looks over at the other jet to see Ghost nodding.

GHOST: "Yeah... never better, Maverick."

MAVERICK: "Did you tell any of them that you were to be one of their instructors?"

GHOST: "Nope, decided to surprise them." he said with giddy optimism.

MAVERICK: "How will Phoenix react?"