"More than every breath I take," Yahya replied, his spirits rising up.

"That's the spirit," His dad cheered, "Now what are you waiting for?"

Yahya laughed at his father's cheerful tone, wiping away the moisture that filled up his ocean blue eyes. "Waiting to cut the call, Dad."

"Meanie. Bye!"

Yahya chuckled some more as the line went dead and taking one last look to confirm that he looked well, he opened the car door. He took sturdy steps as he walked through the cemented pavement lined up with hedgerows.

The flowery scent wafted in the air along with the aroma of the soil showcasing pridely the smell of rain. Yahya was a fan of the fragrance of the damp soil and it uplifted his lips to adorn themselves with a beautiful smile.

With the crescent in his face intact, he rang the bell.

And approximately fifteen minutes later, Yahya sat on the plush sofas, served with mouthwatering savories as he faced Anjum's father.

"How have you been, Mr. Ahamed?" He asked, adjusting his crisp shirt a bit.

"I have been doing well, Yahya. Long time, no see?" Anjum's father replied cordially, taking his cup of tea from its tray. He then settled comfortably on the sofa, granting Yahya his whole attention.

Even though he was nervous, Yahya tried to not show his discomfort. "Yeah! Life has been busy," he said, "You see, with the new job in hand...."

"Oh! Yes! Anjum had been telling me about it.. How is the job treating you?"

Yahya's heart warmed up at the mention of Anjum but he focused his thoughts to answer her father's question instead.

"It's hard to explain, actually," Yahya said, thinking about his new work life, "Mostly because it was not what I wanted but at the same time, I am grateful to have it."

"I can understand, " Anjum's father nodded, "Playing in the field is one thing and teaching how to play is another–"

"Exactly!" Yahya sighed in relief, the feeling of being understood was indeed a pleasant thing to have.

Anjum's father smiled welcomingly. Yahya tried to enjoy the silence when it lasted. He had been quite acquainted with her father because the amounts of visits Rafa used to offer to this place when her friend Jesima lived here were uncountable.

"It's been quite some time since I wanted to discuss this matter with you.."

Creases of confusion formed in the old man's forehead. "What's the matter, Yahya?"

Yahya trudged through his mind to find the right words and when he didn't reply soon after, Anjum's father offered, "Don't be shy if you need any help."

"No.. No, It's not that-"

"Then?"

"Actually, I.. I wanted to ask for Anjum's hand in marriage."

As the words left his words, Yahya felt light, the might of those words were crushing his soul all this while. Finally, he wanted to breathe in relief, unburdening the weight of his emotions but he couldn't, for the old man's face that was in front of him changed into an unreadable expression, lacking the initial warmth it held.

It took a moment for the latter to regard the conversation worthy of discussion. Yahya kept quiet as he gave the opposite person to digest what he had just told. He knew in his heart that any father would need time to grasp the thought of marrying off his daughter, the coolness of his eyes and letting her go.

"Anjum has numerous suitors here and in India, especially now after her appointment as the CEO-"

Mr. Ahamed's words pulled up a smile to light in Yahya's face. Just the fact that he was considering him as one of the candidates was enough to reel his confidence to soar high.

He is giving me a chance, his heart grinned at the thought.

"Mr. Ahamed, I am not interested in your daughter because of her position as a CEO."

"I didn't mean that, Yahya," He said, putting the empty tea cup back in the ceramic tray, sitting up straight, "Tell me, why should we consider you for our daughter?"

"I know, I know," Yahya nodded, not wanting this opportunity in his hands to slip, "I have seen both a financial peak, and joblessness, so I know money is not everything. There is so much to life if we just ponder over it-"

When the old man regarded his answer with silence, he found the need to elaborate his previous reply.

"Going through a major injury that put a full stop to my blossoming career, I know and I understand how uncertain life is. We cannot hold anything in our hands and claim that it wouldn't leave us with certainty. With each passing second, our life is just.. It's just slipping by-"

It pained him to talk about his downfall, words might fall short to describe the crushing misery he went through but Yahya talked it aloud, to heal himself completely out of it. Accepting the divine decree...

"I am not stalling your time by explaining the things you already know of. I am verbally saying them only to let you know my innermost thoughts because I know how independent she has become, how gracefully she has taken over a kingdom while I am just a wayfarer now."

"Does it mean that you will disregard her success?"

"Nope. I am actually very proud of her."

"But did you know it wasn't an easy walk in the stairs?"

"I kind of know the pain of loss you all went through. How hard it took a toll on everyone and the reason I fell in love with your daughter is, even though broken, she stuck her broken pieces together with gold and proved to be the most truest form of jewel that she was, " His eyes glinted with moisture as he thought about all the trails Anjum had went through, "You see, all that glitters is not gold."

"And when I saw her rise like that, outwinning her tribulations, it motivated me to come out of my distress. I think if I marry her, we both will help each other to pass the tests life throws our way and the thought alone wants me to marry her.

"But the love my heart holds for her is far greater than any fulfillment of needs."

As Yahya concluded the narration of his feelings, he leaned in his seat with a triumphant heart, for he had fought so many battles with his own self to have taken a seat there and talk his heart out.

"I am not convinced," Anjum's father declared to which all the happiness he was feeling, took a lethally slow plunge inside the drain.

"Tell me one more reason to give my daughter's hand to you?"

"You ask for a reason to give me your daughter's hand. To be utterly honest, I can give you a million reasons for you to give me her hand but the only reason I will give you is, until I breathe my last, I will not let her smile waiver."

"She has gone through so much alone, I know in future she will be alright to face them independently too but I don't want to make her face any tribulation without me holding her hand. I want to be there for her and I also want to make her happy-"

"Enough," Anjum's father's firm voice echoed through the large living room, casting a sudden dread in Yahya's heart.

Oh no. After how much strength it had taken to walk through that door, advocate for himself, he couldn't face rejection. He just couldn't.