Chapter 20

(  Brief summery of this chapter is 3+1 things of past events of 3 times Venti helped xiao and the one time Xiao helped Venti)

We all know that the first time Venti helped xiao was the night he was at dihua marsh, the night he played a serenade on the dihua flute while (probably)intoxicated with the sweet melodies of the flute aiding Xiao in calming his karmic debt with the raging river slowing down as it drunk in the each note of the melody allowing him to regain control over himself. But , alas by the time he  came to that figure already vanished into thin air but little did he know that that was just the beginning.

The second time Venti helped him was when they got together, one of the many night when venti would sleep with xiao , the yaksha was awaken by nightmare plaguing him with the memories of his friends dying on loop in front of him made him shot up from the bed in cold sweat and laboured breaths as flashback proceeded to plague him with terror with his breathing quickened the more he thought about it . The wound from back then may have healed but the scars still remain from the trauma that instilled in his mind always came back to haunt him ever so often , with him stabilising himself as he was going to return to bed until he feels a slight tap on his shoulder accompanied by a familiar voice.

" X-xiao , are you ok? What happened?" His voice mixed in confusion and worry , he hated the fact he was receiving pity especially if it was from his boyfriend .

" N-nothing venti , just go back to sleep I just need some time alone. Please..."

" Xiao...." Then xiao felt warmth on his back , it was comforting and secured like he was in a safe barrier that he longed for so long since the others passed with him being forced to adapt without the familiar warmth that dissipated the day that they crossed over to the afterlife.

' Venti. you don't have to do this , just go back to slee-" He turned holding Venti's hand in his , with his hand slipping out as he watches him walk over to his bed as he sat on the mattress 

" Xiao , come here ." Venti gestured him over with his arms stretched out while making grabby hands to emphasise it in order for his boyfriend to give in to the temptation that gnawed away at him. He eventually gave in with an exasperated sigh departing from him as he walks over and lay  on his lap , with his hair being stroked as venti began to sing. The song started soft with it progressing on with his body slowly calming down as he felt his heartbeat going back to normal. All it left was pregnant silence in to room , thick enough to cut with a blade.

" Xiao , do you want to talk about it?" The silence shattered as venti spoke , his tone was gentle and kind with his continuing to play with the strands of hair that slipped though his fingers.

" I-it was about-" silence befell the room once again as xiao struggled to find his voice but it didn't go unnoticed by venti.

" Take it easy , you don't have to tell me right away." he continued , reassuring him the take his time. His laboured breaths returned to normal with what felt like hours to them but in reality it was a few minutes lost to time.

" It was about you dying..." he started off as he nuzzled his face into his thigh " You were attacked by demons and I couldn't save you , then the others appeared and started blaming me and dragging me to hell with you standing in front of me asking me repeatedly why I didn't save you with blood running down your face." The feeling of dread filled his mind , hoping that that day would never come the day that venti leaves him like his dream , it pained him to even think of it more than anything .

" Ssssssssh, xiao I would never leave you and I would never blame you for anything. If the others were here they wouldn't blame you as well, so carry that burden by yourself let me carry it with you." The moon shone through the windows to reveal a sincere smile on his face , with venti positioning himself in a more comfortable position so they could continue the conversation . With xiao taking the big spoon while he took the small spoon as always , he could feel xiao nuzzling his hair before sleep took both of them over.