Chapter Sixteen

Hola!! So I’ve been wondering this for a long time, what do you guys think I look like? And how old and stuff? Cuz people have said different things and stuff and it kills me sometimes. But anyway! So, here’s Chapter Sixteen, I hope you enjoy it…sorry if it’s kind of dragging right now, I promise some action by Chapter, well, 18 because that’s what I’m on lol. But yeah please tell me how I can make things better for you in your comments, anything at all, criticism is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thank you so much! And please fan/vote/comment ugh I mean follow I’m never gonna understand okay bye!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Sixteen

♦            Charlie         ♦

I couldn’t stop looking at her. She was beautiful, even with her mussed hair and three-day-old clothes and the deep shadows under her eyes. I was in a dream, watching her every move as she prepared breakfast for me, wondering if this was real and whether I would wake again to find myself in that cold, dark room as I had so many times before. That fear, the fear of return, was still in me, so strong that I had to keep taking reality checks, as if at any moment I would open my eyes and they would all be gone. She would be gone.

Her face was anxious and she kept glancing back at me. I tried to look away when she did this, not wanting to make it obvious that I was staring, but I couldn’t mistake the worry in her eyes. My hands curled defensively in the sweatshirt Josh had lent me, the blood rising in my face as I saw her eyes flicker down to my wrists again. Lowering my head so that my hair flopped into my face, I avoided her look and sat quietly until she put a plate of toast and eggs before me with a nervous expression.

“I hope it’s good –” she began, and I felt like smiling again because I knew how bad a cook she was, but the effort to do so was too great. Instead, I just picked up the fork and tasted some, my mouth immediately drowning in saliva. It took all my self-control to eat slowly, savor each bite, because the starved animal inside of me wanted to inhale the whole plate. It was food, real food.

“It’s great,” I told her a moment later, and she smiled with a look of relief. I took another mouthful, but my stomach was already balking at the amount I had eaten, even though it was a quarter of what she had put before me. Trying not to hurt her feelings, I put the fork down and sipped at a glass of water. “I’m not hungry,” I said as she bit her lip.

“I’m sorry, I guess I can’t cook.”

She tried to laugh at herself, but I saw in her eyes that she realized the real reason why I wasn’t eating, that my stomach had seemed to shrink to the size of a peanut. One hand moved to the end of her ponytail and nervously she began twisting it, as if she was uncomfortable in my presence. I was overwhelmed by hers; I had forgotten, or never truly appreciated, how dark her eyes were or how good she smelled or the little pucker that formed in her lips as she frowned. I just wanted to take her in my arms again and stay with her forever.

But there was still that fear. That I’d be taken away.

“So tell me what’s happened since, you know…” I tried to find a way to change the subject. “If you guys turned up in London, something must have happened. And,” remembering the blonde kid who looked so much like Jay, “who’s the kid?”