CHAPTER 19: DANGER! AT NIGHT

I feel so ecstatic! Tonight, I'm going home with one of my very best friends, Giyuu. It's going to be stress-free, chill and peaceful. Giyuu is extremely sweet and compassionate, always following his heart and doing what's right, so I have no doubt that the experience of rooming with him will be an enjoyable one.

The school day inches by, much to my dismay. Perhaps it seems to move so slowly because I'm actually, genuinely looking forward to tonight. Yesterday, I was a worried mess before I went to Hidan's place, only to find out that I had been completely wrong about him this entire time! But today, I feel nothing other than excitement!
When the bell rings, finally signaling the end of a long day, I hop over to my black-haired friend, who is still packing his things.

"Giyuu!" I exclaim giddily, "Are you ready to go?"
He swings his backpack over his shoulder and nods once, his sapphire eyes flickering with anticipation.

"I live fairly close by," he informs me as we leave the school building and begin walking along a sidewalk, "Although, there's not much to do, I'll admit. I have lived alone for quite some time now. I hope it's not too boring for you, Y/N."

I pat his shoulder tenderly.

"Of course not!" I insist, "We could be out in the middle of absolutely nowhere, but as long as we're together, I'll have a great time! That's a promise!"

A nearly unnoticeable grin appears on his face.

Giyuu rarely smiles, so when he does, the world seems to light up.

"I'm glad to hear that," he says softly.

———

The two of us sit in his living room, completing our homework silently. Thankfully, the load is light tonight, so we finish in no time.

"Giyuu," I speak up after we put our school materials away, "How's that water breathing technique coming along? You've been training so hard!"

He sighs, clearly disappointed.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up...

"Well," he begins, "I'm doing my best. But I've made very little headway. Something's holding me back... it's frustrating, really."
I frown, unsure of how to help him. In all honesty, I don't think there's anything I can do.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out soon enough," I re-assure him, "You're strong, Giyuu. And I believe in you."
He looks at me with kind eyes, clearly grateful for my support.

Outside, the sun begins to set until the stars grace the night sky, illuminating it with constellations and twinkles.

"I feel like I'm failing as a host," Giyuu admits to me after a little while, "Neji told me he took you all around town, and you two finished off the day at a festival. But you and I have just been hanging around my house the entire time. Maybe this is why everyone seems to think I'm such a boring person."
I furrow my brow, pitying him a bit.

"Um..." I glance around anxiously, trying to find something we could do——but his house is pretty barren, which makes sense because he lives all by himself, "...How about we take a walk? The sky's so beautiful tonight."
Giyuu stares out of the window, contemplating my words.

"O-okay," he agrees after a moment of hesitation, "But you have to promise you'll stay close the entire time. I'm sure we'll be fine, but just in case something happens while we're out."
His words spook me a little, but I simply smile and nod so I don't look like a complete coward in front of him.

And so, the two of us leave Giyuu's home and begin our nighttime stroll down a quiet, secluded path.

A critter rustles in a nearby tree, causing me to instinctively grapple onto Giyuu, grabbing his hand with my own. He flinches at my sudden motion.

"Sorry!" I exclaim, "I wasn't trying to make you uncomfortable, something just startled me, that's all!"
But, much to my surprise, he gently interlocks his fingers with mine. My body begins to heat up at his tender touch.

Oh, no... It's happening again...

"It's alright," he assures me, "I won't let anything happen to you, that's a promise."
As we go further into the wood, the sky becomes even darker than before, making the stars more visible.

"It's so beautiful," I remark quietly, "Like a million suns in the sky."
Giyuu gently agrees with me but then rips me out of my trance as he abruptly stops moving. A fearful sensation washes over me as he lets go of my hand and instead grips the katana on his hip with it.

"Y/N..." He whispers, his breathing becoming heavy, "Stay right behind me. Don't move."
The sudden change in his tone of voice makes me jittery. My heart begins to pump faster.

Something must be coming... That's why he's so serious all of a sudden... But what is it?!
My eyes widen as a shadowy figure emerges from behind a tree.

"Who's there?" Giyuu calls bravely.

The silhouette nears us, and once it steps into the moonlight and out of the brush, I lose my breath as I realize who it is.

It's a demon! Not just any demon——it's Rui, lower moon 5, meaning that he's the eleventh strongest demon. In other words, he's bad news.

Giyuu seems to realize this as well, considering his stoic demeanor and the look on his face as he gazes into Rui's eyes, which confirm his position as lower moon 5.

"My family and I live here," Rui states, speaking up before Giyuu has the chance, "Why are you trespassing?"
Giyuu glares at the demon, his normally soft eyes becoming cold.

"These woods are on my property," he hisses, "You and your so-called family are the only trespassers here."
I don't quite understand why, but as I stare at Rui, I begin to tremble. It's as if the air surrounding him is filled with malice itself.

So... this is what true evil feels like...

"Don't be scared, Y/N," Giyuu whispers, "I will protect you with my life."