CHAPTER 10: TOMOE'S HOME

I walk a few steps behind the white-haired fox as he leads me down a long, forest-covered path, which lets out in front of a long flight of outdoor stairs. I follow him to the very top only to find myself standing right outside of a beautiful shrine.

That's right——I'd forgotten! Tomoe lives in a shrine, all alone unless a God has been chosen to watch over it.

"Wow," I gasp, "Your home is beautiful."
He gives me a gentle smile before opening the door for me.

"Welcome in," he says softly.

I step inside, glancing around at the gorgeous interior. Tomoe sure does know how to keep his house nice and tidy.

"You may sleep upstairs," he tells me, "As for me, I will cook the both of us dinner after we complete our homework together in the living room."

I nod in agreement and thank him profusely for his hospitality.

A little while later, I sit down across from him and unzip my backpack, pulling out the small bit of homework I received from my classes.

The nice thing about AHS is that its classes are not boring nor require a bunch of texts to study. So, the homework is minimal.

While in the middle of writing a sentence, I glance up at Tomoe, who is completing his work silently. I lose track of time while staring at him.

That long, white hair, and those purple eyes——he's absolutely breathtaking.

"Y/N," he mutters out of the blue, "Quit staring at me, and return to your work."
Embarrassment overtakes me——he knew the entire time that I was watching him?!
"No, it's not like that!" I lie, "I was just spacing out, that's all."

For the first time since we sat down, his eyes flicker upward at me and I turn away so I don't blush.

"Whatever you say," he sighs.

———

A bit later, Tomoe begins to whip up a delicious-smelling dinner, as though he's a professional chef. I can't help but be impressed by his skills.

I watch eagerly as he plates the food and sets it down in front of me.

"Thank you so much!" I squeal, "I'm starving, and it smells so good."
He smiles a bit before taking a seat across from me. And then, the two of us enjoy a pleasant meal together. He tells me a few times to slow down, or I'll choke, but the food is too delicious not to stuff my face!

"Ah, Tomoe," I sigh once my belly is full, "You're really amazing, you know that? Maybe you should open a restaurant——It'd be the most popular one in town."

He shakes his head in response to my suggestion.
"I think I'm better suited for making home-cooked meals, rather than selling them to irritating, impatient customers."
I chuckle at his remark.

"Fair enough."

As I stand from the table, determination begins to flow through my veins.

"I will clean the dishes since you cooked!" I announce, retrieving the plates from the table and bringing them over to the sink.

His eyes widen at my proposition.

"You don't have to," he insists, "After all, you're my guest."
I ignore him and simply go about my business, humming to myself as I lather soap onto each dish, scrubbing them clean.

"Thank you, Y/N," I hear Tomoe say softly from behind me, "Before now, no one's ever offered to do this for me."

I furrow my brow at him.

"It's the least I can do," I reply, "It's only fair, after all. You cooked such a delicious meal. This is my way of showing how much I appreciate you for that!"

After every dish has been washed, rinsed, dried and put away, Tomoe and I take a seat next to each other on the living room couch.

As he stares me dead in the eyes, I feel my body temperature begin to rise. I squirm uncomfortably as the strange sensation settles in.

"I have a question for you, Y/N."

I raise my eyebrows as if to say "What is it?"

"I wonder..." he continues, "Yesterday at lunch, why did you yell at those girls for my sake? They weren't affecting you at all, so why would you risk the way in which others perceive you only for my happiness?"

I rest a hand on his shoulder.
"Because I'm unwilling to trade someone's happiness just for my own social status," I state, "And, besides, I didn't even think about scolding them before I opened my mouth! The words just came out, like a protective instinct. Because I could see it on your face——you were uncomfortable and wanted to be left alone. So, what else could I have done? I had to do something!"

Tomoe opens his mouth to speak, but no words come out. So, he simply smiles at me, his face becoming even more beautiful as it softens.

I turn away from him so that odd sensation cannot possess my body again.

Jeez, if I look at him for too long, the same thing will happen that happened last night!
But much to my surprise, he gently grasps my chin and turns my face back toward him.

"Do you remember what I said yesterday, Y/N? After all of that happened?"

"I wasn't flirting. I could never have any romantic feelings toward this girl." Is this what he's talking about? If so, yes. I remember word-for-word.

"I think so," I respond, my body burning up as he holds my face within his soft hand.

"Good," he whispers, "I take it all back."
My eyes widen with shock at his unexpected words.

"I just can't help it," he continues, "You're gorgeous, and sweet. And I've decided I won't stop until you're mine."
If I were standing right now, I would have already lost my footing and collapsed onto the floor out of pure disbelief and shyness.

"T-Tomoe," I stutter, "You're joking, right? I thought you said——"

But before I can utter another word, Tomoe leans in close to me and lightly presses his lips against mine. I can't help but close my eyes as pleasure courses through my body at his gentle touch. 

This is the very first time I've ever been kissed. It feels... nice.

When he pulls away and notices my startled expression, he clears his throat.

"I apologize for that," he murmurs, "I'm getting ahead of myself——I should be patient."
My heart is beating right out of my chest.

This gorgeous man... wants me, of all people? But why? What changed his mind so quickly? Was it something I said, or did?

"Perhaps we should call it a night," he suggests, "It's getting late, and you must be exhausted."

He kisses me on the cheek without an ounce of warning.

"Goodnight, Y/N."

Tomoe exits the living room after saying this and I'm left sitting on the couch, all alone, out of breath.

First a kiss on the lips, then one on the cheek——what's next?!

I can't believe this is happening to me. That was even more intense than my heartfelt moment on the porch with Yuki! I'm flattered by all of this attention, don't get me wrong, but I just can't understand why all of these gorgeous boys are head over heels for me!

I smirk to myself.

Well, I suppose it's certainly not a bad thing. I can't say I mind, after all...