CHAPTER 1: KIDNAPPED

A wide yawn escapes between my lips as my eyes become droopy. I nod off for a split second before jolting myself back awake.

No... I can't go to sleep yet... I want to binge Death Note tonight.

But I've been studying for what seems like hours now, and my brain just can't take anymore of this strenuous activity.

"How about one episode?" I whisper to myself, compromising for the sake of my mental and physical health.

I turn on my personal television with a remote, clicking through different anime until I find Death Note, one of my all-time favorites. But as the intro begins to play, the television suddenly turns off all by itself.

"What the hell!" I exclaim, "Did the power go out or something?"
I jolt backward as a flash of lightning strikes just outside of my window without an ounce of warning.

I don't think it's supposed to be stormy today...

"...Did you see that strike?"

I nearly jump out of my own skin as a soft voice whispers from right beside me. I turn around to discover it had come from a pale man with pitch-black hair and large bags around his eyes.

I open my mouth to scream, fear overtaking my entire body. But he covers my mouth before I get the chance.

"Shh, quiet down. I'm not here to hurt you. You can call me L. I'm here to take you to a new place, a better place, for an experiment of sorts..."

L? Could he possibly be... L from Death Note? He looks just like him, now that I think about it! No... that's impossible!

As though reading my mind, he speaks yet again.

"You're probably thinking that it's impossible for me to be here right now, but here I stand. I assure you, this is not a dream, nor a hallucination, but reality in of itself. Now, I'm sorry to do this, but I need you asleep for the journey back."

Asleep? What in the world does he mean by that?
I squirm as L puts a napkin to my nose, and I breathe in some sort of liquid fume that is stained to it, causing my vision to go blurry until the entire world goes dark.

———

My eyes flutter open, light seeping back into them slowly. As I wake, I find myself sitting upright on a cold floor, in a dark room with no windows to be found.

"W-where am I?" I ask, still a bit delirious.

"Don't worry," L says as he walks into my line of vision, "You're safe, at AHS."

I furrow my brow.

"What's AHS?"

He hesitates before speaking yet again.

"Maybe I'd better let you figure that out for yourself," he hums.

My nerves become quite agitated at his lack of clarity.

"Seriously? You're going to bring me all the way here and then tell me nothing?!"

"Just be patient, Y/N L/N."

My eyes widen at the mention of my full name.

"How do you know who I am?" I question, still shocked.

He sighs.

"Because, before I became the principal of AHS, I was revered as the best detective in the world," he informs me, "And I know everyone's name who is a fan of my work."

My jaw nearly falls to the floor.

"A fan of your work? But you're not even real! You're a fictional character!"