CHAPTER 4: UNKIND

After self-defense ends, Neji and Giyuu show me to my second period classroom before taking off in the other direction toward their own class.

I really wish those two were in every one of my classes. They're so friendly.

I lay the materials L had given me earlier this morning on my desk. Second hour is more of a practical class——Battle Strategies 101. So, I imagine I'll need to take notes.

I still don't quite understand why I'm here, but I've decided that I'll make the most out of my time in this world full of mystical powers and gorgeous boys. It's not like I have anything going on at home——after all, I've been living all alone since freshmen year.

I swallow, and notice that my throat feels dry.

I could really use a drink of water right about now.

There are only a few moments left before the start of second hour, so I hop up from my desk and briskly stroll toward the door, having remembered where the nearest water fountain is. But just as I'm about to exit, I bump into someone who had been trying to enter the classroom. The impact causes me to fall upon the ground, landing in an awkward way.

Ouch, my ankle!
I look upward from my uncomfortable position on the floor to see that I had run into none other than Eren Yeager. He's just standing there, alongside Armin and Levi, staring down at me with empty eyes. Both Armin and Levi immediately rush to my aid, helping me to stand. I thank them profusely before glaring at Eren, who is staring off into space as though nothing happened.

"New girl..." he spits, "Watch where you're going from now on, damn it."

I frown, his annoyed demeanor making me feel timid all of a sudden.

"Sorry," I squeak.

"Eren," Levi scolds, "Give her a break. Be kind for once."

Armin nods in agreement.

"Yeah... I'm sure she's already overwhelmed, especially considering that it's her first day here."

Eren scoffs at their benevolence.

"Even so, this was all her fault. She should pay closer attention to her surroundings."
"Eren!" Levi shouts, "That's enough."

As Armin and Levi release me from their caring grasps, I let out a small wince. I think I twisted my ankle when I fell.

"Are you alright?" Armin asks worriedly.

I flash him a small smile.

"I think so... my ankle... I must have twisted it," I mutter, "But, don't worry, it's not too serious."

Eren rolls his eyes at first but then, much to my surprise, extends a hand out to me.

"This is so irritating, but come on, I'll take you to the nurse's office."
Feeling quite antagonized after the way he treated me only seconds ago, I slap his hand away in a fit of rage.

"No, I'd rather endure the pain than go anywhere with you!"

Even if only for a split second, his expression shifts into one of pure shock, as though he can't believe I would refuse his help.

"What's the big deal?" He says nonchalantly, "I'm just trying to help you, dumbass. Do you even know where the nurse's office is?"
I forcefully push him aside, heading toward the doorway.

"That doesn't matter——I don't need your help! Just leave me alone!"
I hear him sigh from behind me.

"What a pain..." he quietly remarks.