CHAPTER 8: ...WHAT NOW?

As fourth hour comes to a close, and everyone returns to homeroom for the final fifteen minutes of the school day, I realize something sort of important——I have no place to stay at for the night, or go home to after school!
Panicking a bit, I decide to approach Kakashi about the matter.
"Excuse me, Mr. Hatake," I nudge him gently, "What should I do now? Where do I go after school's over, since I'm not from here?"
Kakashi's eyes widen as I ask him this.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you..."
He claps his hands loudly, signaling for the entire class to pay him attention.

"Everyone! Y/N is not from here, so she needs a place to stay the night for the rest of the school year. Is any one willing to volunteer to host her in their home?"

My heart flutters as I watch many of my classmates' hands raise into the air, without hesitation. Every one of them, except for the two lovebirds, Mitsuri and Obanai, are volunteering, even Hidan!

I can't believe I've made such a big impact on everyone in the short time I've been here. And of course, I hold no grudge against the two who didn't raise their hands, after all they barely engage with anyone outside of one another.

"Well, alright, then," Kakashi says, as shocked as I am, "Y/N, you get to take your pick, I suppose. Go on."
As I look around at all of them, I find myself faced with a great dilemma. First, my eyes wander to Yuki, who was kind to me from the very beginning. He's simply lovely to be around. But then, I find myself looking at Giyuu and Neji, both of whom reached out to me and made me feel more at home here. Then again, Armin and Levi spoke up for me even though their own friend was the one causing trouble. And speaking of Eren, he may seem mean at first, but he's actually very caring and protective. That being said, Tomoe would be a great roommate because he'd give me my space and remain calm the entire time. But what about Deidara or Itachi? Deidara has a thing for me, but beyond that, he stuck up for me multiple times and proved that he has my best interest at heart. And Itachi is so gentle and warm, always keeping the peace no matter what. Even so, it would also be a lot of fun rooming with Tengen——things might even get physical if I'm not careful.

This is an impossible choice! They're all so wonderful! The only ones I don't really want to room with at the moment are Hidan, Sanemi and Jean. They're too obnoxious, to put it plainly.

"I..." I mumble, "I can't choose."

Kakashi sighs at my indecisiveness. I notice some of my classmates' faces droop in disappointment.

"Well, how about this——you'll rotate between everyone," he proposes, "Every night, you'll go home with somebody different. That way, you won't be playing favorites."
I nod in agreement as I observe everyone perk up at this idea.

"That's perfect!" I exclaim, "Great idea, Mr. Hatake!"
"Thank you," he says, "Now, we'll just have to decide how to choose the order in which you room with everyone..."
"Let's go in alphabetical order!" Deidara suggests loudly, favoring himself since his name comes earlier in the alphabet than most.

Kakashi places a hand beneath his chin, contemplating.

"Alphabetical order might be a good idea," he mutters, "But I think we'll go in reverse alphabetical order just to spite you, Deidara."
I chuckle as Deidara's jaw nearly drops to the floor.

"What did I ever do to you, hm?!" He yells, standing from his desk.

Kakashi shrugs.

"You, along with Hidan, Sanemi and Jean, have always given me trouble in class, ever since freshman year. So, this is my way of enacting a little thing called revenge."
Deidara clenches his jaw before reluctantly sitting back down, in a huff.

Technically, it's his fault for being so poorly behaved. I'm starting to understand why the art teacher quit their job——between him and Hidan, it must have been an absolute fiasco.

"Damn it, Deidara," Eren speaks up, "You screwed every one of us who has a name near the beginning of the alphabet. Why can't you ever keep your mouth shut?"
Deidara balls his fists, becoming increasingly aggravated as he rapidly approaches Eren, who rises from his seat in an intimidating manner.

"Are you itching to finish what we started earlier, Yeager?! Because I will happily show you some of my art, and use it to blow your titan head off!"

"Alright, shut up, both of you!" Kakashi demands firmly, "And sit down."

The two hot-heads reluctantly return to their seats, still annoyed at one another.

Kakashi turns to Yuki, whose name is nearest to the last letter of the alphabet.

"Sohma, you're up first. Is that fine with you?"
Yuki nods excitedly, throwing me a bright grin. Some of the other juniors glance at him with angry eyes, seemingly jealous.

"Yes, of course," he replies to Kakashi, "Y/N will be in good hands with me."

———

After school ends, I begin to walk with Yuki and Tohru back to their house. I'd forgotten——those two live together along with Kyo, who was held back a grade.

"So," Tohru says, "What would you like to do tonight, Y/N?"

I ponder this for a moment before my stomach growls.

"I'm starving," I admit, "Maybe we could stop by a convenience store on the way back?"

The both of them nod happily in agreement.

The rest of the evening seems to fly by. Yuki and Tohru set up a futon for me in their guest room, and allow me to use all of the appliances and whatever else I may need to feel at home.

Tohru and I also end up growing closer as time passes, seeing as we have quite a bit in common with one another. But then, Kyo arrives home late at night, and occupies the rest of Tohru's time.

When this happens, I step outside onto the porch, where I find Yuki already standing, looking up at the starry sky.

He looks undeniably ethereal as his silver hair gleams beneath the moonlight, reflecting its rays effortlessly.

After reveling in his beauty for a moment, I join him by his side.

"H-hey," I say quietly.

He turns his head toward me and smiles gently.

"Hi."
My face heats up as he unexpectedly drapes his jacket over my shoulders.

"You didn't have to do that," I assure him.

He furrows his brow in protest.

"Of course I did," he responds, "It's a bit chilly out here tonight, after all."
I stare into his sparkling gray eyes, as though they are the stars themselves.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're really gorgeous, Yuki?" I ask without giving much thought to my words.

I cover my mouth, embarrassed of my subconscious sentiment.

Y/N! What are you doing?! You can't go around saying things like that! And, plus, that was a dumb question! He's practically worshipped by every girl in school——of course he knows he's gorgeous!

Yuki flushes a light shade of pink under the starlight and turns his face away from me momentarily.

"I've been told that a few times," he admits, softly, "But..."
I gasp lightly as he caresses my cheek with his hand, his gorgeous face getting even closer to mine than before.

"...No one as beautiful as you has ever said so," he finishes his sentence, which makes my heart flutter a bit.

He thinks I'm beautiful? Am I dreaming, or something?
I get the strange and sudden urge to kiss him, but I back away instead. After all, we only just met today! I can't go kissing someone who is still practically a complete stranger!

"T-thank you," I stutter awkwardly, before turning around to re-enter the house, "I-I'm going to bed now. Goodnight."

After uttering this, I quickly race back inside and lean against the wall, my heartbeat going a mile a minute.

That was almost a giant disaster! How could I be so weak? Y/N, you idiot! Pull yourself together, damn it!