intercom ᥫ᭡

read. comment. vote. 

present tense but a flashback.

continuation of an event in chapter 13 <3

There's a crackle from my ear piece, distracting me from the bully in my head. My head perks up in confusion, no one should be contacting me right now.

The smooth voice of a Russian travels down my ear making my fingers tingle and my breath hitch.

"Privet? ty kopiruyesh'?" (Hello? Do you copy?)

✦✦✦

"Privet? ty kopiruyesh'?" (Hello? Do you copy?)

The organ trapped inside my ribcage tightens at the sound of his voice. My jaw drops slightly as my eyes dart towards the door, where Thomas is. He's still there, shit. With a shake of my head, I ignore his questioning gaze.

It's nothing, I mouth.

He rolls his eyes and walks out, making me curl my fist. I really can't figure out if I hate him or love him more. The confusion he brings with how he treats me– with respect like I'm someone important, but then it changes so quickly as if I'm dirt on his shoe.

I quickly focus back on the person somehow talking in my ear.

"Hello?" I answer. "Privet?"

I'm guessing privet is hello with whatever language he's speaking– maybe Russian, I think.

I lean forward in my seat when the line goes silent. I hear light murmurs. For some reason, I feel relieved that they haven't put it down.

I hear the same guy growl, "Ey, verni mne yego, Feliks." (Hey–give me it back, Feliks)

Another guy–feliks, I'm guessing replies with a scoff, "Chto? Znachit, ty mozhesh' pogovorit' s kakoy-nibud' sluchaynoy devushkoy?"(what? So you can talk to some random girl?)

"Otvali." (Fuck off)

"Shlyukha."(Whore)

"Suka." (Bitch)

Are they arguing?

"Helloooo," I call out, "if you guys don't start speaking in English then I'm going to assume you're calling me a hairy monkey."

"Give. It." the guy who is not Feliks says in the background, ignoring me. There's a shuffle then he speaks again, this time to me, "Hello? Are you still there?"

His voice runs down my spine, uncomfortably. My belly– there are things flying around in there.

"Yes I am but I'm afraid I've started to wither and die with how long you took," I say, with sarcasm in my tone.

"Yeah, sorry about that Feliks was..." he trails off arguing with Feliks in the background.

"Were you speaking Russian?" I ask, curiously.

"Da," he says.

"Da," I repeat, "I'm going to assume that's a yes. So what's your name and why'd you call me?"

The ringing part is a lie since it's an earpiece I'm wearing but that would be harder to explain.

"I rang by accident– apologies for disturbing you if I have," he says.