headset

There were times when I chose to hear the truth despite it being hurtful. I assumed I needed to hear it because it is the right thing to do.

But there are times we'd rather cover our ears to protect ourselves, especially when the right thing to do and the truth are two different things, mixing together like a bloody command.

You question the truth you know.

Was the command for war needed?

In the break of dawn from your light sleep, an explosion happens, the enemy attacks. You'd rather go back to a sweet slumber, a lucid taste of sweet victory almost within your reach.

But you can't. Once you let your guard down, you lose.

Even in their absence, you tiptoe, wary of traps.

You would always want to be prepared.

A decision to be hurt or to protect.

To whether let the swords slit through your vulnerable skin and destroy you or pick up your shield and push forward.

But protecting is seen as rebellion, when it's only a weighing of truth. The commander does not see the lives they have put to risk, whatever the means, only winning is worthy.

Is it so wrong to stop getting hurt, to stop the slashing of skin and gritting of teeth, in this endless war I wake in the explosions, everyday I pick up my shield just so I could move forward.

Once again, I fight the battle I didn't wage.

A war I didn't create but ended up conquering.

You can't run away. Nobody likes a runaway soldier.

In the end there will be peace and freedom

I see the new dawn, not just in my dreams

I see it coming for me, certain, like it was mine all along.

I'll pick up my shield today.

I'm ready for battle.