Chapter 8- A Long Chat

After a while cutting the wood outside with a frustrated Steve, my pile was gone, my arms were aching and I was tired. Treading back to the house, I wiped the sweat from my brow and glared and the sun with such hatred. Ever since I was small I would just stay inside away from the giant ball of heat that I like to think as a curse to mankind. It's heat made me feel uncomfortable. Like it pricked my skin.

I looked to the barn where Tony disappeared to about an hour ago. I saw him with another man. The mystery man wore a flat cap and an eye patch. It took me a minute to realise it was the former director of the fallen agency, SHIELD. It was ... Fury.

I just let my legs carry me and I threw myself into his arms. Ever since I was taken to SHIELD, Fury and I had been close. I was devastated when I learned he had 'supposedly' died. Later I found out he hadn't but for a moment my heart couldn't take any more pain from my loved ones.

He hugged me close. "How's my girl been?"

"Good, better now your back." He let out a laugh as I slowly released him. I still couldn't believe he was here.

"Come on lets go inside."

————-

After a lengthy shower, everyone was downstairs discussing what happened the day before. I stood against the table, towel drying my hair.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something." Fury said, leaning against the sink, his arms folded across his chest. I smiled softly as I seen Barton's little girl hand a picture to Nat. " The amount of briomine he made off with, I don't think its just one thing."

Steve looked over to him, "What about Ultron himself?"

"Well, Ultron himself is easier to track. He's everywhere. He's multiplying faster that a catholic rabbit." Fury exclaimed. "It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans."

I walked up to Tony, I grabbed a few darts and threw them at the board. "Is he still going after the launch codes?" I questioned, with my eyes glued to the board. I was winning.

"Yes, he is but he's not making any head work."

" I cracked into the Pentagon once in high school, on a dare."

I smiled. "I did it for my personal amusement." Tony smirked and high fived me.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the NECUS about that...-"

"The NECUS?" Steve asked, a little confused.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo. Every piece of data flows ... fastest access of Earth." Bruce answered. Bruce had been quiet lately, he kept to himself. I was concerned. "So what did they say?" Clint asked.

"They're more fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom." Clint asked as he threw a dart that missed Tony's face by a inch.

Tony glared at him, as he stood in the kitchen a couple of metres away, he simply shrugged his shoulders.

"Party's unknown."

Natasha decided to speak up, "Do we have any allies?"

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing."

"Well, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"We might need to visit Oslo, find the unknown." Tony suggested.

Natasha shook her head. "Well, this is good times Boss but I was kind of hoping when I saw you that you'd have more than that."

"I do, I have you."

We all shared a glance.

"Back in the day I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream of. Here we all are back on Earth, with only our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. Whether he likes to admit it, his mission is ... global destruction. All this laid in a grave." There was silence until Fury continued, " So stand, outwit the platinum bastard." I cracked a small smile.

Natasha pulled a face, "Cap here doesn't like that kind of talk." I let out a laugh as he pulled a face back at her. At the party after the slip up with Steve, Tony explained the inside joke. Hilarious.

"You know what Romanoff..." She smirked in return.

"So what does he want?"

"To become better, better than us. He keeps building bodies." I thought out loud.

"Person bodies, human form is inefficient. Biographically speaking we're at out-moated. But he keeps coming back to it."

I saw Bruce edging towards the table were the picture of a butterfly lay on the table then I understood.

"When you two programed him to protect the human race, you amazing failed." Natasha concluded.

"They don't need to be protected...-" Bruce started.

"...they need to evolve." I finished. "Ultron's going to evolve."

"How?"

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho lately?"