𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐡, 𝟎𝟔

THE MOON SHONE independently in the sky, surrounded by little stars who shone just as brightly

THE MOON SHONE independently in the sky, surrounded by little stars who shone just as brightly. it was midnight, you were awake, couldn't sleep due to past trauma.

you had just recently finished your companies work and for the hundredth time, checked the case files to try and rack your brain for clues which lead to the same result, nothing.

these suspects disappeared like ghosts, police's words not yours, though you do have a strong lead on where they previously headed, the attack with... hoodie and masky proved your assumptions to be true.

you could go back and venture deeper but then that's a risk of getting killed, you could also call for the police and let them inspect it but hey, in all honesty, you wanted all the credit here.

"ah shit!" a voice yelled, followed by a few thuds, hastily you opened your office door and ran to the sound which was in the connected kitchen and living room, there you saw ben, picking up a few tools and knickknacks off the floor.

you soon made your way towards him, picking up a few tools before setting them down on a nearby table, "you ok?" you turned to the phantom.

"yeah sorry, didn't mean to wake you." he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, moving in his spot.

you shook your head with a smile, "it's fine, i was never asleep to begin with." you grinned before raising a brow, "shouldn't you head back to... uh, you're home?"

"nah that place sucks, it's stuffy and barely has any snacks to go around, not to mention the amount of roommates." he huffed, eyes half lidded as his eyes caught sight of the tv, "since your awake and all, wanna hang with me?" the blondie jutted his finger to the couch with a smirk.

you gave a second thought and hesitantly shrugged, "i guess i could, finished all my work so i have time to spare." with that, you could only take in the smirk he had that grew by the second.

"sweet, y/n was it?" he walked— or rather floated towards the couch, you following pursuit with a hum, "honestly, kinda wants me to keep ya around y'know? my buddies back at home seem to really hate cha." soon after his transparent body was solid, he sat on one side of the couch as you did on the other, the change in the atmosphere was noticeable as his eyes... saddened? "never had a human treat me like a mutual." he hung his head slightly, a shadow casting on his face as a sad smile planted on his lips.

you wanted to say something but fought back, he needed his moment, no doubt he probably went through some tough shit and made it out looking like... that. for all you could assume, he probably didn't even make it out but you wouldn't pry unless he did.

ben's saddened smile soon disappeared as he lifted his head back up, bloodshot irises looking right back at your e/c eyed ones, with a tilt of his head, he parted his lips, "you're from outta town right?" he changed the subject, "what do you do for a living? must be something big right? no way did you get this house from some small cafe, come on, spill it." he smirked again, gosh that smirk, that smirk was the only smile you could see him with, despite the saddened one not moments ago, you always saw him with that smirk.