Quickly

Is that smoke?

DID I LEAVE THE STOVE ON?

...

I didn't use the stove.

Oven?

Nope.

Hair straightener?

Nein.

Candle?

Non.

Microwave?

Ne.

Broken heater?

It's September.

Magical witch-bitch trying to kill me?

YEP!

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." River cursed to herself as she realised that the spells which Henrik had done to protect her from any supernatural being harming her wouldn't work against a house fire even if it was caused by a spell. 

As smoke continued to fill the hallway River was in at a supernatural speed, further confirming that it was Esther behind it, River did what she does best: Handle a crisis in the opposite way any normal person would.

A normal person would scream, cry, call 911, get out of the house.

River, knowing that Henrik had spelled all of exits closed (not considering that River may need to escape), then went downstairs and retrieved the jumbo-sized fire extinguisher Nik had bought after Rebekah decided she wanted to try cooking as a hobby. 

River then continued to pull the collar of her shirt up so that it was resting over the bridge of her nose, allowing her to breath slightly better, before she went back upstairs in an attempt to minimise the fire. Concerningly, River was rather familiar with having to put out fires as her and Delilah in a kitchen was an instant trigger for chaos whenever her parents weren't home... which was often.

One fire extinguisher later and River realised that being a firefighter wasn't quite the career path meant for her.

"Fuck you, Esther." River muttered before she then left the area, deciding to try her luck on each of the exits Henrik had supposedly closed. 

After trialling doors and windows on the first floor, River finally stopped to gather herself for a moment. 

I may have only had one fire extinguisher...

but you know what fire hates and this house has a freakish amount of...

Water.

Once she had caught her breath, River then continued to work her way from room to room, turning on each faucet which she found. River muffled a cough against her hand she she sat down on the floor of the kitchen, knowing that smoke rises leaving a layer of air beneath it.

Finally deciding to do what she probably should have done first in this situation, River slipped her phone out of her pocket. She then continued to call Henrik's number, hoping that he could answer and undo the boundary spell keeping her inside. Whilst the phone rang, River began typing a message to him. Suddenly, a loud crash echoed from above River causing her to flinch.

"Was that the fucking roof?" River questioned. 

IF THIS WHOLE HOUSE COLLAPSES ON ME I'M SUING.

River's mind raced as she redialled Henrik's number, her first call having gone to voicemail. Another string of muffled coughs escaped River as she tried to slow her breathing. Before River could call one of the other siblings as her call to Henrik went to voicemail again, River, being the stubborn genius she is, pieced together just how she could not get turned into a smoky slow roast.