Always Protecting

Start from the beginning

"Smart girl." The man grunted.

"Set the bags down, Riley." Maya told her as she never took her eyes off the gun, or the finger that was itching closer towards the trigger.

"No!" Riley snapped.

"Riley! Now is not the time to be all sunshine and rainbows! Give him your bags!" Maya snapped. Riley put the bags down on the ground and the girls took a step back.

"The purse, too." The man told them as he waved the gun at both of them.

"Look, we can help you-"

"Riley shut up." Maya told her.

"He needs help, Maya. We can help you, we can-"

"He doesn't want our help, Riley. Just put the purse down." Maya told her again.

"You should listen to your friend." The man seethed. Maya swallowed hard as his finger gently landed on the trigger.

"Come on," Riley said gently as she took a step closer, ignoring Maya's outstretched hand to try and pull her back. "You don't want to pull that trigger on us." Riley said.

"Wrong." The man stated, as his finger started to press down-

"RILEY-!"

BANG
~

"Hey family!" A energetic voice called out as the front door opened and slammed shut. "Something smells good!"

"You're late." Topanga called out. Joshua Matthews looked up and immediately backtracked once he saw the glare on his sister in laws face.

"I-the subway was long." He stated.

"No longer than usual, I'd imagine." Topanga told him with a scary smile, even scarier that she was holding the big knife she used to cut things up in her right hand. Josh swallowed hard.

"Isn't there something you can do to calm her down?" Josh asked his older brother.

"We'll, certainly not in front of the family." Cory whispered back. Josh gave him a disgusted look before looking back over at his sister in law.

"Sit. Now." She demanded.

"Yes mam." Josh didn't have to be told twice as he took the seat on the couch beside Shawn and Cory. Katy and Topanga were in the kitchen. Auggie sitting on the floor and working on homework. "Where are the girls?" Josh observed.

"Still not here." Cory stated.

"What!" Josh demanded. "You mean I got the scary knife look and I'm not even the last one to show up?" He asked. "I call for an objection, your honor!" Josh shouted at the kitchen so Topanga would hear.

"If you know what's best for you, you'd let it go." Cory told him with a slight look of fear on his face. Josh grumbled as he sat back on the couch. He looked at his watch and frowned. "It's a little late. They said they were going to do some shopping before they got here." Josh said as he remembered the conversation from his niece's and girlfriends dorm room earlier.

"Don't those girls shop enough? I swear Maya has a new outfit on every time I see her." Shawn stated with a shake of his head.

"They're girls, Shawn." Cory emphasized as if that was supposed to make him understand better.

There was a loud noise coming from the hallway. A ringtone that blasted off from the halls.

"Oh, that's mine." Topanga said as she wiped her hands on a towel before putting it on the counter and heading towards the ring.