School Dances

2/10
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya sat back in her chair with a glass of punch in her hand. Riley winked at her from a distance and Maya gave her a fake smile and held her glass up in salute as she watched her best friend be pulled further onto the dance floor by Lucas.

Maya rolled her eyes and drained her glass back in one go, wishing quietly that it was something else at the moment as she got up to get a refill. It was the last dance before prom. At least, that was the headline on all the posters that was hanging on the walls over the school.

That was one thing Maya never understood. Why the heck call it the last dance before prom. Why not just call it a regular school dance? Nevertheless, here she was watching her friends all dance and have a great time while she was standing here with her third glass of punch, about to be fourth.

"If I didn't know any better I would think that you were over here trying to spike the punch as many times as you've been around here." Maya looked up and scowled at the well known voice.

"Are you offering?" She asked. Josh gave her a look.

"Now what kind of look would that give off if the chaperon was to spike the punch?" He asked her.

"I'm not asking you to spike all of it. Just mine." She held her newly filled glass in front of him. Josh glanced down at it before he looked back up at her with a look. Maya rolled her eyes and brought it back towards her.

"Why aren't you dancing?" He asked her. Maya shrugged.

"Nobody's asked me."

"That's a lie. There have been at least three guys in the last half hour that's come up to you and you've declined." He snorted.

"Stalking me?" She brought her glass up to her lips.

"More like observing." He countered. Maya sighed as she let herself take a look around the school. It was 'under the sea' themed. All the lights in the gym were set on a soft blue as there were decorations that resembled seaweed and sand. Paper fish hanging from the ceiling and an accurate statue of tritons pitchfork.

"I hate school dances." Maya stated in a grumble. Josh shrugged his shoulders.

"You should enjoy them while you still have them. You don't get anymore in College." He said. Maya bit back a smartass remark as she reminded herself that Josh was just one person out of the loads of people that had reminded her of this, this week.

"Yeah well, sounds like one of the many gains you get with college." She said. Josh glanced at her for a moment before bringing his attention back to the many dancing couples in front of them.

"So how come you're not dancing with anyone. It will make the time go by faster." He told her. Maya scoffed.

"Have you seen the boys that have asked me to dance with them?" She asked. Josh bit the inside of his cheek.

"I happened to think they seemed nice." He said.

"Of course you would, because you know that none of them are my type." Maya said. Josh let out a snort.

"Just what are you implying?" He asked.

"That if I were to be dancing with someone like Kyle Weston-" Maya pointed over to the captain of the football team, who was standing near the entrance of the school talking to a few of his buddies from the team. "-you wouldn't just sit back here and watch it happen."

"I'm a chaperon, Maya. I couldn't stop you from dancing with anyone that wasn't treating you badly." He told her. "Besides, I wasn't aware the buff jock kind were your type." Maya rolled her eyes, ignoring his last comment.

"Is that why nobody except for kids in Farkle's chess club have been asking me to dance?" Maya asked him. Josh shrugged his shoulders innocently.

"Maybe you intimidate them." He said.

"Or maybe you do." Maya stated.

"Are you saying that me being here is somehow keeping any of the guys from asking you to dance?" Josh asked.

"Only the ones you don't want me to dance with." Maya argued. Josh rolled his eyes before he turned around on Maya.

"Alright, Maya. I'll tell you what." He pulled her cup out of her hand and finished it off for her, he turned back towards her ignoring the glare that she was giving him."You go ahead and dance with anyone your heart desires and I promise, I wont complain about it or try to 'intimidate' them in anyway." He told her sarcastically as he all but gently slammed the cup down on the table. Maya raised an eyebrow at him.

"You promise?" She asked. Maya could tell by the tone of his voice that he was a bit frustrated.

"You have my word."

"Good." Maya grabbed his hand and pulled him out onto the dance floor. Josh's eyes widened as she pulled him closer.

"What are you- I didn't mean me!" He told her as he suddenly looked around at all the students in the room, who didn't seem to really care and just continued to ignore him.

"You said that I could dance with anyone that I desired." Maya told him as she found a corner over in the room away from everyone else.

"Maya, I'm a chaperon! I cant dance with you, you're still a student!" He told her with a frantic look.

"Relax. Considering who the teacher is in charge of this dance, along with the rest of the chaperons. I think we're safe." She told him. Josh took a look over at Cory, who seemed to be suspiciously not looking their way. Along with Katy and Topganga who had their attention on the other students on the other side of the room.

"Everyone in this school knows that we're dating." Maya continued. "Including all the guys. Which is why the only guys that have asked me to dance, are guys that you haven't glared at from across the room anytime they've tried to approach me."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Josh replied innocently. Maya sighed and shrugged her shoulders.

"Not that I would have said yes anyway." She stated. Josh didn't say anything as they fell into step together, following slowly along to the beat of the music.

Drowning out the world around them, but still being aware of where they were. Maya kept her hands on his shoulders, and Josh kept his hands on her mid back, higher than where he would keep them normally if they weren't in a public area, let alone her school.

"You're cute when you're jealous." Maya stated. Josh rolled his eyes.

"I still don't know what you're talking about." He told her stubbornly.

"Mmmh." Maya hummed. She smiled up at him, Josh looked down at her and bit his lip.

"I really want to kiss you right now." He said. Maya faked gasped at him.

"Mr. Matthews. You're a chaperon!" She whispered-exclaimed at him. Josh let out a small laugh.

"On the bright side, the dance will be over in an hour." He told her.

"Been counting down, have you?" She teased. He nodded.

"Every second." He whispered. Maya sighed happily as she stared up at him.

"Cant wait."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!