Always Protecting

This one gets a little intense. Thanks for reading!! Warning: this one shot includes gun violence and blood. if this triggers you then I suggest skipping.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya Hunter was not an overly dramatic person. If anything she downplayed things. It was just the way she was. Maya was always on the defensive when it came to things. She saw the world for what it was. Cold, corrupted, ignorant, selfish and brutal. She was always looking over her shoulder.

Riley Matthews was completely different. A total opposite of what her best friend was. She always overreacted about everything. She trusted too much. She saw the world as beautiful and full of love. She only ever wanted to seek the good out in people, even when they didn't care. It's just how she was.

Walking the streets of New York at night was not a smart thing to do for two young girls, especially two beautiful young girls like Maya and Riley. One thing that Maya always did was be on the defensive. She always looked over her shoulder. And she always looked after her best friend.

"Is there anywhere else you wanted to go before we head home?" Riley asked as they came out of the store with a few shopping bags in their hands. Well, Riley had shopping bags, Maya just kept her hands shoved in her pockets as protection from the bitter cold.

"No. We should start back to the apartment. It's getting late." Maya told her, knowing that if they waited too long certain situations could arise.

"Maybe after dinner we could go get some ice cream. It kind of feels nice not to have to ask our parents how late we can stay out." Riley told her.

"Maybe on a different side of town." Maya told her. She hated the side of town they were on. Because she knew what type of people hung around here.

"Maybe we could even ask uncle Josh if he'd like to join." Riley smirked in her best friends direction. Maya looked away with a blush.

"Come on, crazy." Maya causally draped an arm around her best friend as they started walking towards the direction of the Matthews apartment. Where there would be a family dinner taking place between the Matthews and the Hunters and the girls did not want to be late and suffer the path or Topanga.

Just as they were rounding the corner of an alleyway, Maya abruptly stopped walking and pulled Riley to a stop by the back of her jacket.

"What's up?" Riley asked.

"What are two pretty girls like you doing around here?" A creepy voice asked as a man came out from the shadows behind the building.

"Hi!" Riley exclaimed as she smiled at him.

"Shut up." Maya snapped at her, her tone deadly serious. "Let's go." She tried to pull Riley backwards and away from the alley.

"Oh come on, where's your manners?" The man asked.

"Yeah Maya, don't be rude." Riley said as she shrugged out of Maya's hold.

"Riley." Maya was more serious than she had ever been in her life. "We need to leave." She told her.

"Not until you give me everything you have in those bags." The man's tone was deep and startling as he pointed at the bags Riley was carrying along with her purse. For a moment Riley hesitated.

"Give it to him, Riles." Maya told her.

"What?" Riley asked. "No!" She said sharply. "Look Mr. you can't just expect us to give you everything we have-"

"Riley!" Maya snapped as she went to pull her best friend back, but the man was faster. Before either of the girls could blink, he had pulled out a gun. Riley gasped and pulled back to grip Maya's arm. "Okay, okay." Maya said, her voice shaky but calm as she held her hands up. "We'll give you the bags."