nailed hands

Chapter 62 Part I: Belle

I say nothing for the entire thirty minutes.

I messed up, I admit it. Pushing her like that was not a great decision, so I decide to let her explain what she would like to and nod along.

She goes through her life of House Hugo, from her first corset to the day I flew her out here. At some point, her friends surround her, laying their hands on her just to show their support. When Eve reveals who I actually am, their eyes whip to me, but I do not shrink under their gazes. I dip my chin in a quick nod instead.

When she is done, she takes a shaky breath, holding back more tears. There are a few crumpled tissues in her hands, and her knuckles have paled under her grip.

"And you want her to go back?" Hecate accuses, her tone furious. Under it is concern, which makes my heart ache. These two really care about her, and are hell-bent on protecting her.

I sigh. "I have to make hard decisions all the time... but this will not be one of them."

Eve meets my eyes. Hope shines in them, and I know that even though I may receive anger from the rest of the council, this is the right decision.

I address Cate and Stephenie. "I will always be grateful she has you two. Background checks do not provide insight on personality, but I think I did pretty well. So you need to understand that what we discussed here will not be shared. With anyone. Not even your parents. You will need to sign NDAs."

Both of of the girls nod. "Anything," Stephenie says.

"I am not... going back?" Eve asks, voice quiet.

"Luke will have my head, but no. You were right. You have done enough."

Relief sags Eve's shoulders. She almost bursts into tears again. Let Luke get angry. She deserves a little peace.

My phone rings. I stand up and excuse myself. And speak of the devil. It is Luke.

"Hello?"

"Turn on the TV," He commands. His voice is frantic.

"Why? Is there more on the election fraud?" I ask. I had gotten a text while we were talking, and though I was pissed, it tracked with my brother.

"No. No, that is... it does not matter. Turn on the TV right now."

I go back to the living room, grabbing the remote. Something in my stomach sinks before I hit the power button. Luke is talking to his wife on the other end, but...

"What the fuck." The curse slips out before I can stop it, and I do not care.

I hear courses of "oh my Gods" behind me, a phrase I am still getting used to after never hearing it. No one talks about religion where I was born.

"Luke," I snarl into the receiver. "What is this?"

"I have no idea. The whistleblower from a few days ago must have done it. No one else has access to the cameras."

"No. You didn't answer the question."

He sighs. "What we have been waiting for. For him to slip up while the entire world watches."

I put it on speakerphone just as Coria says no loud enough to be picked up by the cameras. Why are they showing this? Why is Luther standing there doing nothing?

"Belle," Luke says. "You have to come home."

The shattering of glass over the video muffles my half-hearted, "Yeah, yeah."