river of blood

Warning: this chapter contains suicide. If you are not in the right headspace to read this, please come back for the next chapter and skip to the end for a chapter summary.

Please call 1-800-273-8255 if you need help.

Mental health is the first priority. Take care of yourselves. Thank you.

———
Chapter 45 Part I: Coria

I exhale through my nose as I cross of a name on the list Belle gave me.

Robbie of House Hansen.

I am not sure how I can even explain how it worked, but he is in the senate, fighting a fight Luther thinks he is against. This is strange to see. Now, forty-seven to go. Better than forty-eight.

I look back and check on Jenna. She is still twirling her thumbs around each other, tapping her heel on the floor. Better than earlier, especially with many less tears.

It happens at least once every day. Almost all days it happens twice, maybe even more. Hard to say when it will happen, mostly because anything can set her off. Yesterday, I mentioned Luther and her panic attack came fast and swift. Guilt burned in my eyes as I strayed her away from any sharp things.

Randall is forcing her to come back in a few days. It is most likely adding onto the stress. I am trying to figure out a way to bargain for her to stay, since my dearest husband is indifferent of it, but nothing I come up with will work. Randall is hell-bent on her return, no matter how much I plead.

It appalls me, like most things I happen to not agree with these days. Just like how I do not agree with the corset magazine in my nightstand drawer, ones that I must pick out and order for Sybella. She is not of age yet, but Luther wants to hit the ground running for reasons I have no comprehension of.

I step in from of Jenna to let her know I am there before I sit down next to her. She barely reacts to me, just turning her face in silence.

"Lunch should be ready soon," I say. "Do you want to go downstairs?"

She nods, immediately standing up. Moving helps her relax and take her mind off her thoughts. She leaves first, only looking back to make sure I am behind her. I catch up, still a pace or two behind, and follow her down the stairs and into the kitchen. A few plates have already been set out, Sybella's plastic one next to mine. Jenna is on the other side of mine, head of the table, and Josie's is next to hers, across from me. Luther is, once again, eating in his office, just like every day.

Just as Sybella enters into the kitchen with Sylvia and Josie, a final plate is set out. I lift my daughter up in my arms and kiss her cheek before I sit her in her chair. Quickly instructing her on the rundown, she nods as I point to each utensil and tell her how to use them. A spoon and fork, but not quite ready for a knife. Besides, I make sure the knives are kept away from Jenna.

I tuck the napkin in her lap, smoothing the unkempt hair behind her ears and away from her eyes. She flashes a sweet smile up at me and turns her cheek for a kiss. I oblige, softly kissing her temple. After, she turns back to the cloth doll in her hands.

The shuffle of feet behind me makes my mood go sour quick.

"Miss Coria, your husband would like to see you in his parlor," The man says. I look to Josie and Sylvia.

"We got it," Josie reassures. I nod, kissing Sybella goodbye on the cheek, then stand to leave. There is a little stab of annoyance at his call, but I fold my hands and continue on out of the kitchen and over to his parlor.

It is a short walk, but plenty long enough for me to get most of my annoyance out. By the time I knock on the door, it is no longer the number one thing on my mind.