red gold and green

Chapter 38: Coria

Jenna's distraction reaches all new heights as the next day arrives. Her eyes stare and keep staring as Doctor Strauss comes and goes throughout the day, monitoring Luther's condition. I try to snap her out of it, but it does not work. Sybella cannot even do it. It makes me nervous, all that is going on in her mind every second, but I am not sure how to help her.

In two days is Choosing Ceremony. It is strange to think I will not be there, that while another mass of women are being sold off to men they hate, I am wishing mine would wake.

I am never alone, I notice. Even when Sybella and Jenna leave, Hayes is always in my presence. When he is not here, Jenna is, even if she is somewhere far away mentally. Until Luther is awake, I assume, they  will stay. It makes me thankful, a person keeping me grounded as I sit and wait.

Today, Doctor Cerry is the first one to visit, shining a light into my husband's eyes to, as he explains, to check his neurological function. Whatever that may mean.

Doctor Strauss eventually joins, Hayes right behind her. He sits by me, updates on life at home in his hands as Cerry and Strauss stick around.

"Miss Jenna and your daughter are on their way," He says first. I do not say anything. "The first topic I was told to speak with you about is Choosing Ceremony."

At that, the two doctors perk up. They try to make it look like they are not eavesdropping, but I know when someone is. It is a skill I have grown to learn and watch for.

"Are they delaying it?" I ask. Hayes shakes his head.

"No ma'am. It is still set to be in two days. Senator Clayton will take over the whole thing. It will still run the same way, like when President Hoffman never went," He answers. I nod.

"What next?" I ask.

"Walter called this morning," He says. He sees the panic on my face and rushes in. "Antony is fine. He wanted me to let you know that and his well wishes for the president."

"Oh." Is all I can say.

Any news of Antony worries me until I know it is good. I know I chose not to stay, to turn and leave, but I still believe I deserve to care.

"Anything else?" I ask.

"That is all I have for today, madame. I will receive more from Senator Luke tomorrow morning if, of course, Luther has still not woken. If he has, you will not need to worry," He replies.

"Ok," I say. "Thank you."

"I should be back soon. Miss Jenna and Sybella will be in tow," He says, then gets up and leaves. I turn back to the bed next to me. Time to wait.

"I know it is absolutely not my place, but may I ask you a question?" Cerry asks. I look to him and nod. "What is Choosing Ceremony?"

I pause, wishing I did not have to answer. I go slow, as if it makes it easier. "When women turn eighteen, they... line up, are bid upon, and are sold to whoever pays the most. Then we marry them."

Doctors give patients bad news every day and need to keep their faces neutral. However, these doctors do not—or cannot—hide their horror. Doctor Cerry has the decency to look away, but Doctor Strauss is not that kind. I look away for them.

"Is Antony your brother?" Cerry asks, as if to recover from his embarrassment. Little does he know that he will not be able to.

I shake my head. "Antony is my son. Walter is the man who paid for him."

I merely get a glimpse of their horror once again before I am determined to keep my eyes away. It is a weird truth; Walter is not Antony's father yet he bought him for millions of dollars. Like my daughter will one day be sold to someone. My heart aches and my stomach churns.