once again

Chapter 22: Coria

I now wake up a little after dawn. It is purely because of Sybella waking up so early, fussing until I come and get her, but I actually do not mind. Luther does not wake until later, so I have time to myself.

In that time, I feed Thunder his breakfast, take him outside, and play with Sybella in the nursery until Luther is awake. Then, I do what he wants me to.

But today, he only wakes up an hour after I do. He meets me in the backyard as Thunder runs around in the grass. He takes Sybella from my arms, his daughter's smile growing.

Thunder runs towards us, then stands next to me. I scratch his head, a pleased tail-wag in return.

"We leave in three hours," He informs me. "Your dress is in the solar."

"What will happen with Sybella?" I ask.

"Josie will take care of her while we are gone," He replies. "Thunder will be fine on his own. The servants will let him out when needed."

"I am going upstairs to take a shower," I tell him. "Do you want me to take her?"

He looks me up and down. "No. I will give her to Josie. I am joining you."

—————————————————
I sit down at the vanity, brushing out my hair. My makeup is set out before me, ready to be used. I take a glance at my dress, and though it is beautiful, it looks too expensive.

It is a ball gown, a pastel pink. It is off the shoulder, sweetheart neckline, fading into navy blue towards the middle on both ends. It is so breathtakingly beautiful. I do love it.

My makeup is a routine I barely even think about anymore. It is like second nature. I always wear a little makeup, just because no man likes to see a woman without makeup.

"Miss," Someone says from behind the door.

"Yes?" I ask. She lets herself in. She has scissors and a brush.

"Your husband has asked me to cut your hair," She explains. My eyes widen.

"M-my hair?" I stutter. She nods.

"He says he wants it short," She says. "For Choosing Ceremony."

I have never had my hair cut short. I do not even think it will look good short. But I cannot say no to Luther. I nod, and sit back down on the chair so she can cut it.

I close my eyes and let her get to work. I hear the scissors shut and feel the locks fall to the ground. Inside, I am having a panic attack. I am so nervous.

"Done," She says a while later. I take a deep breath, then open my eyes.

My hair looks drastically different. Instead of it ending below my breast, it ends just above my shoulders. I run my hand though my hair, surprising myself on how short it is.

"Thank you," I say. "You are dismissed." She hurries away, and I am left alone to freak out by myself. Such a drastic change to my appearance freaks me out a bit. I check the time. I force myself to continue.

I finish in good time, taking off my robe to slip into the dress. I put on the strapless bra, taking the dress from the hangar and slipping it on. I open the door, a different female servant taking the strings on the back and pulls them tight. Once she is finished, I thank her and she leaves.

I grab the silver heels that tie up my ankle, tightening them so they do not slip. I stand back up, smoothing out the dress in the mirror.

Finally ready, all I have to do is spray my perfume and put on earrings, and then I step out of the room. Josie is waiting for me, Sybella in her arms. I smile, taking Sybella from her to say goodbye. It only takes a kiss in the cheek for my baby to smile.