garden of blood

Chapter 53: Coria

Sybella barely says a word, let alone complain, when I take her to our room instead of hers and tuck her into a bed that is ten times bigger than her. I brush the dark hair from her face. Her pretty eyelashes tickle the palm of my hand when she closes her eyes.

We are both dressed in our pajamas, my makeup has been taken off, and I have thoroughly brushed her hair and through the curls that are starting to take over her head. I never had curls when I was her age, but Cormen did. I would like to think she got it from him.

"I love you," I say, kissing her forehead. "Go to sleep. I will be right here."

"Mama?" She asks.

"Hm?"

"Where is Daddy?"

"He is downstairs working. Daddy is a little stressed right now, honey. He is trying his best for us."

"Does he love me?"

Maybe. "Of course he does. Almost as much as I love you."

"I love you, Mama."

Every time she says it, my heart grows. This little girl is really mine, and my love for her is really real.

"I love you, too, honey. Go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake."

She relaxes into the sheets, my fingers running gently through her hair. My mind is racing, every possible outcome coming forth, but I will sleep easier with her next to me. Having a daughter is a complete privilege, and the only reason we find it hard to do in this world is because men want a child they can beat the love out of and call it strength.

But like Hayes said, the greatest people love, and there is no other that can love like women.

I settle in and watch the night pass. Fatigue starts to loom over me, but I do not close my eyes until the moon is high in the air. Sybella is long asleep by the time I even begin to doze, and when I do, it takes a little longer to succumb myself to sleep.

The sun has yet to rise when I wake up. I jerk awake and sit up, Sybella only a foot away from me. Did I just imagine that noise?

I reach over and check on Sybella. She is still asleep, her lips parted. I brush the hair away where it lies over her cheek and kiss her head. She doesn't even stir. I pull away from her and lie back onto the bed. I am just more paranoid since she is here. Everything is fine.

But...

Just as I decide to move, I hear a clatter of plates echo from downstairs. I hear footsteps retreat, and then a muffled crash that I barely catch. It is decided for me. I slide from the bed and toss on a robe to silently explore what is happening.

I shut the door behind me—Sybella must stay asleep—and tiptoe my way over to the stairs. I gently walk down them and hear another crash, louder this time. Someone is smashing plates. Then, I hear a curse, and I know who it is.

I, however, am not sure why he is here.

I edge into the kitchen and spot them in the grass of the backyard. Clayton's figure is clear against the night, and Luther's grabs a plate and smashes one. After, Clayton throws one like a frisbee and it shatters into the water fountain across the lawn, a few shards in the rose bushes below. I cringe. I like those flowers.

"You do not have to stay," Luther says.

"It is better if we stay together. Once we start doing damage control, I cannot leave," Clayton replies.

"We both have families."

"Gina will not care. I am tiring of her lately, anyway. At least Coria appears to be a good wife. Sybella is being raised."