54) Third Day of Exhibitions

"My experience with the Borderlands was never difficult. I suppose I was considered a lucky player—I was certainly beyond average, if I may say so myself."

===Chihaya Korinsu===
(Shinagawa Ward)

"Down this way!" I shouted between breaths, my heart racing and stomach tight. Ashikaga trailed behind, leaping over a garbage can.

Behind us, there was gunfire.

Game: Decrees
Difficulty: King of Spades

"I think they're going for the takedown!" Ashikaga shouted, covering her ears.

"Decree 2:34PM, the alleyway I'm pointing at will cave in!" The King's voice boomed.

Tezuka Eiji
Boxing Champion
Specialty:

The ground shifted and I yelped, pushing off of a ledge for support.

Even though the rules were never explicitly explained, the King's notoriety spread quickly throughout the Borderlands, and the rules were easy to infer.

Fragments of rock began showering me, and I covered my head, as the foundations of the buildings surrounding us gave out. On the rooftops, people screamed, and an armed man fell to his death in front of us.

Once every minute, the King of Spades may order a decree. This can be any destructive event that can realistically occur in nature, within the bounds of the infrastructure present, that is localized within one building or area.

I bent down, grabbing the gun the man clutched, as Ashikaga dove and rolled, swerving to the side of a falling boulder. "We're almost out of the alley!" She shouted.

The Game Clear condition is simple: Kill the King of Spades. However, once a day, he may unleash a catastrophe, a cataclysmic event that affects the entire Borderlands.

A clothesline fell to the ground, and I yelped, flailing my arms to not tangle myself in its wires. Metal clanged as a balcony came loose, crashing against the concrete brick. Behind us, the walls caved in, crushing anything in its path. People on the roof screamed, falling into the collapse or through the deteriorating rooftops.

On day one of the Next Stage, this was a sudden volcanic eruption in the Shinjuku ward. On day two, this was a powerful lightning storm that fried the top floors of every tall building and exposed metal. There has yet to be a catastrophe for the Third Day of Exhibitions.

With a final leap, me and Ashikaga emerged from the alleyway, as all remaining space between the alleyway was crushed shut. I doubled over, falling to my knees, panting. My shirt was soaked in sweat.

Ashikaga pulled on the hem of my shirt, flinching at its moisture. "Chihaya, we have to keep–ew! You're so sweaty–but that's besides the point! We have to keep going!"

My arms quivered, but my feet kicked myself up. My stomach seemed to sink, pushing into my throat.

"Decree 2:35PM, Raishuya Avenue will cave in on the sewer system beneath it!" The King hollered into his megaphone.

Behind us, two people screamed, as the sound of colliding stones crashing into water followed. We had been running at top speed for ten minutes by now; my entire body shook and each swallow was thick, as if my body was resisting anything.

Ashikaga pulled us behind another alleyway, and my body fell like a house of cards against the wall, melting into a puddle onto the cold bricks. She took a few deep breaths, taking off her backpack and pulling out a water bottle, handing it to me.