36) Infiltration ✮

Part 3: Secrets

===Chihaya Korinsu===

Despite the roaring crowd in the Beach lobby, I remained silent, sitting on the stone steps leading onto the card wall. Nearly four hours had passed–still, nothing from Gabura's team. Me and Niko had returned from a trip to the restaurant Tori had cleared, with a chunk of its pantry and kitchen raided. I fiddled with my cast over my hand, the aching muffled by painkillers. A familiar shuffling of a dress sounded beside me.

"Still no news of them, boss?" I asked.

Erina shook her head, her fingers toying with the red diamond necklace. "Maybe... They're playing in a game with no time limit. Could that be the reason they're taking so long?"

I sighed, breaking our eye contact. "I don't know. Part of me can't imagine them... Not coming back. Gabura with her strength, Natsuki with her protectiveness of everyone else, Rafferty with his psych, and Charī with his... Jack of all trades. But at the same time, I don't want to put myself into denial."

"I think we might need to–"

"Erina!" Someone shouted. It was Tori, who had been placed as a scout following her assignment into the Resources Council. "They're back!"

We rose up at once, Erina laughing. "Oh my god, they're okay!" I ran ahead, Tori's second comment unheard as I darted out the door; the pool had already been cleared. Near the parking garage, the pickup truck pulled up, as the driver's seat opened. But something else caught my sights: the trunk was filled with people. Injured, bloodied people.

I slowed down, as Natsuki emerged. "What?" I asked. "But Natsuki, you hate driving, why... And who..."

Rafferty emerged from the passenger's seat, as Charī rushed around to support him. Gabura came out in crutches, huge masses of her hair gone, dried blood adhering to her scalp. I got closer to the trunk; there were four people, each with injuries of various degrees. Erina had followed behind, as news of the return spread, a small crowd gathering behind the parking lot gates at the commotion.

"We need Sasori, stat!" Natsuki ordered.

"Sasori?" Erina asked. "So much time had passed, that she had already gone on her nightly bike ride!"

I cursed, pulling up my walkie-talkie. She had a habit of biking to clear her mind after the games had all ended, and was particularly upset tonight after being convinced the group was as good as dead. "Sasori!" I buzzed in. "Rafferty's group has returned, they've returned with a lot of injured players! We need you here immediately!"

After a few moments of static, she replied. "Oh my god, okay! I was on my way back already, just hang tight for a few more minutes! Thank god!"

I returned the device back to my belt clasp, turning back to the group. "What the hell happened?"

In his beaten, panting state, Rafferty reached into his pockets, and pulled out a card.

The Ten of Hearts.

A chorus of gasps rang throughout the crowd, as Erina's face dropped, leaning her face as if she was convinced she had seen the card wrong.

With this, we were only five cards away from collecting all the numbered cards. We were nearing the end of our journey.

. . .

The next morning...

Maindo's Rankings:
1: Kazetani
2: Nobira
3: Ashikaga
4: Shirai
...
6: Haga
...
28: Maeda